Today’s Coronavirus News: Opposition Hopes for Answers in Government Documents on WE Charity Deal; Germany to force people arriving from ‘high risk’ countries to be tested

0
65


The latest coronavirus news from Canada and around the world Thursday. This file will be updated throughout the day. Web links to longer stories if available.

6h44 The Bank of England predicted on Thursday that the economic downturn in the UK economy may be less severe than it thought at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic – although it warned it would take longer to heal scars.

The central bank has opened the door to provide more monetary stimulus as Britain reopens after pandemic lockdowns and said the economy is unlikely to return to pre-pandemic levels until the end of 2021, as the consumer and business spending remains low.

He also expressed concern about rising unemployment rates – especially at a time when no one knows what will happen next.

“The outlook for the UK and global economies remains unusually uncertain,” the bank said in a statement. “This will critically depend on how the pandemic unfolds, what steps are taken to protect public health and how governments, households and businesses respond to them.

6 h The NHL says labs hired to perform daily COVID-19 testing on players in Edmonton and Toronto are keeping their supply chains separate from those of the public to ensure the two never meet.

Approximately 1,500 samples are collected and analyzed daily in each city, not only from NHL players, teams and staff, but also from restaurant and hotel employees who support the postseason tournament in each hub. .

Ahead of the NHL’s restart this summer, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly has estimated that between 25,000 and 30,000 tests will be administered until the end of the Stanley Cup Final.

Realizing that even a perceived conflict with public testing could harm the people of every city by hosting a dozen NHL teams, the league and labs insist there aren’t any.

The managing director of DynaLife in Edmonton says the lab sources chemicals and machines from manufacturers who do not provide Alberta health services.

“A very simple analogy would be that Public Health chose to operate a fleet of Chevrolets and Fords as vehicles,” Jason Pincock told The Canadian Press.

5 h 52 Germany will require people arriving from countries considered to be at high risk to take coronavirus tests from this weekend, the health minister said on Thursday, as the country recorded its highest daily number of new infections in three months.

German officials have expressed concern over a steady rise in the number of new infections in recent weeks. The national center for disease control, the Robert Koch Institute, said 1,045 cases had been recorded on Wednesday – the first time since May 7 that it had more than 1,000 cases per day.

Daily numbers can be volatile or skewed by reporting delays, and the number is still far from the high of over 6,000 reached in early April.

“We are seeing many small epidemics,” Health Minister Jens Spahn told reporters. “People get infected at family celebrations, in their workplaces or in community settings.”

On top of that, school holidays – the dates of which are staggered across Germany’s 16 states – are ending in some areas, raising fears that vacationers could bring the virus home.

4 a.m. Opposition parties hope the imminent release of government documents related to the WE Charity affair will shed light on how an organization closely linked to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau secured a deal to administer a federal scholarship program.

The government has until Saturday to file with the House of Commons finance committee all memoranda, briefing notes, correspondence and other documents relating to the now canceled deal.

In the meantime, however, the committee’s efforts to deepen the controversy may be stalled due to the unavailability of key witnesses.

The committee, which heard from Trudeau and WE Charity founders Craig and Marc Kielburger last week, is due to hold another meeting via video conference on Thursday.

But committee chair Wayne Easter said it could be rescinded because as of Wednesday night none of the invited witnesses had yet confirmed their appearance.

Thursday 5 a.m. Newfoundland and Labrador Chief Medical Officer of Health is expected to speak on Thursday in a court challenge to a travel ban restricting entry to the province she ordered in response to the pandemic COVID-19.

Dr. Janice Fitzgerald will appear as a witness in the case before the Provincial Supreme Court in St. John’s this week.

Fitzgerald’s special measures order went into effect in May, barring anyone except permanent residents and workers deemed essential from entering the province.

Kim Taylor, a resident of Halifax, and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association filed a complaint in May, alleging the restrictions violate the Charter and are outside the province’s jurisdiction.

Taylor’s request to travel to Newfoundland after her mother’s death was initially denied and although the decision was later overturned and she was granted an exemption, she said he had arrived too late.

Dr Proton Rahman, who leads the province’s COVID-19 model preparation team, will also appear as a witness on Thursday.

Thursday 2:11 A Myanmar court on Thursday sentenced the Canadian pastor of an evangelical church to three months in jail after convicting him of violating a law aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.

Myanmar-born David Lah has been accused of flouting the ban on large gatherings by holding a religious meeting in Yangon on April 7.

Lah’s attorney, Aung Kyi Win, said the court found his client guilty of violating an article of the Natural Disaster Management Act because he failed to comply with a directive banning gatherings.

The judge credited Lah with time served since he was jailed in May, so it looks like he could be released in a few weeks.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Never miss the latest Star news, including up-to-date coronavirus coverage, with our email newsletters

Register now

A Burmese colleague from Lah, Wai Tun, received the same sentence.

Thursday 12:06 am President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he would back an extension of payroll support for airlines as the coronavirus pandemic continues to eat away at their business.

Trump’s backing comes after 16 Senators signed a letter to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., And Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, DN.Y., asking for the extension to spare potentially tens of thousands of airline jobs that are at risk. after exhaustion of current funding at the end of September.

“We don’t want to lose our airlines,” Trump told reporters at a White House briefing Wednesday. “If they watch this, whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, I would definitely be in favor. “

Unions representing airline employees and more than 200 members of the House of Representatives have supported an expansion in funding for the CARES Act for airlines, which received $ 25 billion from Congress when it passed the law in March.

10:30 p.m. Wednesday At least four people have died after swallowing hand sanitizer during the coronavirus pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday.

In a report, the CDC said more than a dozen adults had landed in hospitals in Arizona and New Mexico since May 1 after drinking disinfectants.

“Alcohol-based hand sanitizers should never be ingested,” the CDC said in the report.

In addition to the four deaths, which included a trio of people in their 30s, three other patients suffered visual impairment after swallowing disinfectant, according to health officials.

The cases involved methanol, a toxic substance, the CDC said. The Federal Drug Administration has issued warnings on disinfectants containing methanol and has accumulated a list of more than 100 types of cleaners that it advises Americans to avoid.

Wednesday 8:15 p.m .: As COVID-19 remains in the community, British Columbia health officials say the anxiety and stress that comes with uncertainty and increased isolation so does.

A joint statement from Health Minister Adrian Dix and Provincial Health Director Dr. Bonnie Henry says young people may not understand why the activities they enjoy have been restricted, and they urged members of family and friends to provide mental health support.

The government announced 47 new positive COVID-19 tests on Wednesday, bringing the total number of cases to 3,834.

There are 351 active cases of COVID-19, with nine people hospitalized and six of them in intensive care.

There have been no new deaths since the province’s last update and the toll stands at 195.

Dix and Henry urged residents of British Columbia to treat the summer of 2020 as a time of consideration and care for others.

Wednesday 6:05 p.m .: At 5:00 p.m. as of Wednesday, Ontario regional health units were reporting a total of 41,760 confirmed or probable cases of COVID-19, including 2,821 deaths, up from 78 new infections in 24 hours.

The province continues to post its lowest rate of new infections since long before the pandemic hit its first peak in Ontario in the spring. Ontario has averaged 96 cases per day over the past seven days, up from a high of nearly 600 per day seen in mid-April.

As of Wednesday, 20 of Ontario’s 34 health units reported no new cases; none reported more than 20 cases.

Meanwhile, a fatal case was reported Wednesday in the province, Chatham-Kent. The Southwestern Ontario Health Unit is the only region in the province currently experiencing its worst infection rate since the start of the pandemic – a still relatively low rate of 8.3 cases per day over the course of last week.

Earlier Wednesday, the province reported that 66 Ontarians are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, including 30 in intensive care, including 15 on ventilators.

Star’s tally includes some patients reported as “probable” cases of COVID-19, which means they have symptoms and contacts or a travel history that indicates they are most likely with the disease, but that they have not yet received a positive laboratory test.

The province cautions that its separate data, released daily at 10:30 a.m., may be incomplete or out of date due to delays in the reporting system, saying that if there is a discrepancy, “the data reported by (the bureaus health) should be considered the most up-to-date. “

Read Wednesday’s mobile file



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here