“The risk of terror of Sunni origin is the main threat facing our country,” he said, adding that 32 planned terrorist attacks had been thwarted since 2017.
At the same time, the minister said there were worrying signs of far-right activities in the country as well.
France suffered a series of major Islamist attacks in 2015 and 2016, mostly claimed by the extremist group “Islamic State”. Over 250 people have been killed.
Read more: Charlie Hebdo and the disappearance of the cartoon
Not just “little helpers”
Darbanin’s remarks come two days before the opening of the trial in Paris of 14 alleged accomplices in a series of attacks from January 7 to 9 starting with an attack on the offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo.
Other related attacks included the shooting of a policewoman and the siege of a Jewish supermarket. In total, 17 people were killed in the attacks in Ile-de-France around Paris.
The suspects are to be tried on several counts, including terrorist conspiracy and complicity in murder.
Read more: France: the long shadow of the terrorist attacks in Saint-Michel
National anti-terrorist prosecutor Jean-François Ricard said on Monday that the suspects were not being tried as “little helpers”.
“These are individuals who are involved in the logistics, the preparation of events, who have provided funding, operational equipment, weapons, a residence,” he told France Info radio. , adding that such things were “essential to terrorist action.” . ”
Darmanin, in turn, called the upcoming trial “historic”.
tj / (AFP, dpa)