Civil Guard officers found 60 people camping out on an off-limits beach in what authorities described as a “beach meeting to spread COVID-19” to build immunity. The rally was quickly stopped and the youths were ordered to dismantle their tents. But officials warned the party posed a “very serious threat” after Spain suffered more than 25,000 new cases last week.
“The Civil Guard intercepted a meeting on the beach to spread COVID-19 in an area where access is currently prohibited. ”
La Orotava security adviser Narciso Perez said police discovered the party was planned on social media, the rally “designed to help the spread of Covid-19”.
He told local press: “In the last few days, Civil Guard agents discovered some sort of meeting that was being planned on social media to organize a mass camping trip to Los Patos beach, designed to help the spread of COVID-19. .
“It’s a threat that has been taken very seriously.
“The Civil Guard conducted a thorough investigation to identify the people who organized this and they were questioned. ”
The planned party’s disbandment came after Spain suffered its worst peak in coronavirus cases in recent weeks, forcing several countries, including Britain and Germany, to impose new, tougher travel restrictions.
READ MORE: Holidays in Egypt: Hotspot unveils new entry requirements
The tourist hotspot has reported nearly 26,000 new infections in the past seven days, with a total of just over 361,000.
This is a significant jump from 16,000 a week earlier and less than 2,000 towards the end of June.
In Catalonia, there have been more than 5,000 new cases in the past week.
The neighboring region of Aragon has become the country’s new coronavirus hotspot with the highest infection rate per 100,000 population.
After MPs attack Prime Minister’s lockdown in Manchester, WHO praises Boris [COMMENT]
Netherlands quarantine: could the Netherlands be on the quarantine list? [ANALYSIS]
Latest from the economy: 1,800 companies have revealed plans to layoffs [DATA]
But despite the huge spike in new cases, only 46 people with COVID-19 had been admitted to intensive care in the week until last Friday.
That is compared to more than 20,000 people who had actually tested positive for the coronavirus.
The daily death toll has remained largely in single digits, with 16 deaths in the week to last Thursday. The overall total now stands at over 28,000.
The spike in Spanish cases follows a worrying trend across Europe, and there are now fears that France and Germany in the Netherlands will be put back on the UK’s quarantine list following an increase in number of new cases in these countries.
The popular summer season has been blamed on rising cases in Germany and Italy, while France has tightened rules on face masks in cities like Paris and the Mediterranean resort town of Saint-Tropez.
But Europe in general has yet to see a huge increase in the number of deaths or people admitted to hospital with coronavirus.