Telecom operator Bouygues will dismantle 3,000 Huawei antennas in France by 2028

0
117


French telecommunications operator Bouygues Telecom will dismantle 3,000 mobile antennas made by Huawei in densely populated areas of France by 2028, the latest blow to the besieged Chinese tech giant which is the target of countries labeling its 5G equipment as a potential threat to national security.Bouygues deputy CEO Olivier Roussat confirmed the plan in a conference call, without detailing the company’s equipment it will use to replace Huawei’s, according to a Reuters report on Thursday.

Roussat also revealed that the installation of Huawei’s mobile equipment was already halted in the cities of Brest, Strasbourg, Toulouse and Rennes, according to the report.

In July, Guillaume Poupard, head of the French cybersecurity agency ANSSI, said in an interview with local media Les Echos that government authorizations lasting three to eight years would be granted to French carriers who were already using the Huawei’s 5G equipment, but discouraged them. who were not using Huawei’s equipment to switch to Huawei in an effort to avoid total reliance on Chinese company technology.

The United States has tightened the screws on its allies to kick Huawei’s equipment off its 5G networks. The continued efforts paid off last month, when the UK government said it would completely phase out all existing Huawei equipment by the end of 2027, a major reversal from the country’s January decision to grant to Chinese society limited access to its next generation. wireless network.

Contact reporter Ding Yi ([email protected])

Related: France will not ban but will discourage use of Huawei 5G equipment, official says

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here