Instead of following the two-week quarantine rules, the Belgian star joined in training with his Parkhead team-mates before leaving the bench to play Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Kilmarnock – putting many players in and officials in danger.
The latest incident comes after eight Aberdeen stars were forced into self-quarantine after a pub party linked to a coronavirus outbreak in Granite Town, just hours after their team lost to Rangers on Saturday latest.
Two of Aberdeen’s players then tested positive for the virus, with Prime Minister Nicola Sturgeon expressing anger at their behavior after the Scottish government put in place strict guidelines to help top clubs start the season on time.
And now clubs have been warned that a temporary game hiatus could be halted for just two games in the nine-month season due to the inability of highly paid professional players to follow guidelines.
A spokesperson said: “The Scottish government is aware of reports that a Celtic FC player broke quarantine rules last week.
“We are currently in discussions with the club and the football governing bodies to establish the facts.
‘If confirmed as yet another serious incident in Scottish football, where protocols have been violated at the risk of wider public health, the Scottish government will have no choice but to wonder if a break is now necessary in the resumption of the match in Scotland. ”
The blunt warning came just hours after Scotland’s biggest football stars received a grim message from the Scottish government that Covid-19 can prove fatal for anyone.
All major flight directors and club captains took part in an unprecedented conference call with National Clinical Director Jason Leitch on Monday evening.
Leitch stressed that any further rule violations could result in the shutdown of professional play, warning players not to make the mistake of believing they are too young and too fit to feel the full force of the deadly disease.
After listening to the doctor, SFA chairman Rod Petrie said: “Aberdeen has learned some hard lessons which will have been taken on board by the rest of Scottish football and that message was made clear to Professor Leitch this evening.
However, Petrie was unaware at that time that Bolingoli had gone to Spain for a sunny break and then ignored the quarantine rules.
Last week SNP frontman Sturgeon dropped the behavior of the Aberdeen stars, who, along with other top professionals, are allowed to play despite a ban on all Lower League football and young people.
She said: ‘They blatantly violated the rules that had been agreed between the SFA, the FPSL and the Scottish Government, which, to say the least, is totally unacceptable.
“Football has been given the green light on strict conditions that clubs and players abide by the guidelines that have been agreed upon.
“They jeopardized the return of professional play. To say this incident is deeply regrettable is an understatement.
“I’m pretty furious about this situation because it shouldn’t have happened. If these guidelines are not followed, all bets are off. ”
Following the latest revelation that Bolingoli broke the quarantine rules, a Celtic spokesperson said: “Celtic Football Club have taken their response to Covid-19 extremely seriously and we are happy that day, we have not recorded any positive tests.
“Our staff have given so much in this area, working tirelessly to ensure that all players and other club staff are safe, fully aware of their own responsibilities and familiar with all guidelines and protocols.
“Safety must always be our priority.
“Obviously, a full investigation will now take place and the club will take all appropriate action.
“Following the return of the player, he recorded two negative tests last week. ”
Bolingoli had said earlier that he regretted his actions. The 25-year-old said: “I made a huge mistake.
“I want to apologize to my manager, my teammates, the supporters, everyone at Celtic and so many others for letting them down so badly.
“I am guilty of a serious error in judgment. I know what I did was wrong and I know I now have to face the consequences. ”
Celtic legend and Daily Record columnist Chris Sutton has slammed the player and said Parkhead should be shown the door for his selfish behavior.
He tweeted: “There shouldn’t be a comeback for Bolingoli at Celtic now.
“If he knowingly went to Spain before the Kilmarnock game and broke the quarantine rules, he showed he really didn’t give a damn about his teammates, the manager and the support… Celtic should be dispose of immediately. “