London teenager Nora Quoirin’s body had “no scars or serious injuries” on her feet, although the teenager was not wearing shoes when she disappeared from a seaside resort in Malaysia, according to an investigation.
The 15-year-old’s disappearance sparked a ten-day search through a dense rainforest involving helicopters, sniffer dogs and hundreds of volunteers.
But police said foul play was not involved when her naked body was found by hikers at the edge of a small stream about 2.5 km from Dunsun rainforest station. They then closed the file.
Officials reported an autopsy claiming she succumbed to intestinal bleeding from starvation and stress after spending a week in the rainforest.
Her heartbroken parents, Meabh and Sébastien, argued their daughter, who was struggling to learn, would never have landed alone and demanded an investigation, which opened today.
A lawyer working for the couple pointed out that Nora – who was not wearing shoes when she disappeared – had not suffered any injuries to her feet, although she was found a mile from the family villa.
The lawyer said: “She was found without clothes, shoes, scars and serious injuries to the soles of her feet? “
Local police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop – who was the first witness called to the Seremban investigation today – agreed and said Nora had “only a few minor bruises,” reports The Mirror.
The investigation into the death of London teenager Nora Quoirin opened today a year after her naked body was discovered in a jungle in Malaysia. She is pictured above in a family photo
The chief of the local police, Mohamad Mat Yusop, was the first witness called in the investigation in Seremban today, held a year after his disappearance.
Parents Meabh and Sébastien have called for an investigation after claiming their daughter has not moved away. They are pictured calling their daughter on a megaphone last year
Mr Yusop added: “There was no indication that the victim had been kidnapped.
“We have not received any phone calls – usually in this type of case, we will receive a call to say that the victim has been kidnapped and is in the hands of certain people, and that they would demand a ransom.
“I believe the missing person did come out the window.
When he first met the family, Yusop said they were “distraught” and he “assured the father that we would use all our resources to find the missing girl.”
He told the court he immediately ordered a search after learning that she was missing on August 4 last year.
The voice of the girl’s mother calling out “Honey Nora, Nora, Nora, mommy here” was played in court – a recording that was used in the girl’s search.
Police officers pictured leaving court today. The local police chief was the first of 64 witnesses called to testify
The 15-year-old’s disappearance sparked a ten-day rainforest hunt involving helicopters, sniffer dogs and hundreds of volunteers
A second witness, the owner of the complex, Ahmed Bamadhaj, told the investigation that the latch on one of the windows of the bungalow where they were staying was broken.
Photos of the two hotel room windows were presented to the court, including the one with a broken latch. There is no CCTV on site and the area is not lit so guests can “see the stars”.
The Dusun complex, located in the heart of the Negeri Sembilan rainforest, consists of seven independent bungalows with a maximum capacity of 20 adults.
64 witnesses are expected to be called to court, including the hikers who found her body, a British forensic expert, Nora’s parents and police officers.
Today Coroner Maimoonah Aid said, “We are here to answer a few questions – who is the deceased, when and how they died and if anyone was responsible. “
Maimoonah visited the Dusun and the place where the body was found earlier this month on a trip that the Quoirin family attorney described as “quite thorough”.
Investigation will call 64 witnesses at the courthouse, pictured, in Seremban
A map shows the Dusun Resort near Seremban in Malaysia where Nora went missing last year
Prior to the investigation, the teenager’s parents described him as “a crucial element in the fight for truth and justice for Nora”.
“We hope that all avenues surrounding Nora’s disappearance will be fully explored and not just the theory that the police have always favored,” they said.
They were not present at the inquest due to the coronavirus pandemic but will be questioned by the coroner via a video link.
Nora disappeared from the station on August 4 of last year.
Her parents previously said their daughter could not have gone astray on her own as she had poor motor skills and needed help walking. They also said that his mental age was around five or six years old.
Police officer searches for Nora in August last year after she went missing
In a statement released by the Lucie Blackman Trust, a charity that helps British families in crisis abroad, they said in January: “It is crucial to understand how Nora was found where she was.
“As a vulnerable child, facing significant physical and mental challenges, we strongly refute any conclusion that Nora was alone for the duration of her disappearance.
“We have repeatedly asked the police to clarify the answers to our questions in this regard – and we have been repeatedly ignored. “