In retiring from the US Open, which is set to begin in New York on August 31, he follows compatriot Aussie Ashleigh Barty, who said earlier this week that she would not compete in what will be the second Grand Slam of the ‘year.
“Let’s take a breath here and remember what’s important, which is health and safety as a community,” Kyrgios said in a video posted by Uninterrupted.
“We can rebuild our sport and our economy, but we can never recover the lives lost.
“I won’t be playing at the US Open this year. It hurts my heart not to be competing in one of the biggest arenas in sport, the Arthur Ashe Stadium.
“But I sit for the people, for my Australians, for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost their lives, for all of you. ”
READ: WTA tour returns to go as planned despite player’s positive coronavirus test
Kyrgios added that he had no problem with the organizers running the tournament, nor with the players competing and acting “appropriately” and “safely”.
However, he appeared to continue to criticize the Adria Tour, after which a number of players, including world number one Djokovic, tested positive for Covid-19.
“Tennis players, you have to act in the best interests of each other and work together,” Kyrgios said.
“You can’t dance on tables, make money in Europe, or try to make quick money by having an exhibition.
“It’s so selfish. ”
READ: Serena Williams helps donate 4.25 million face masks to schools
The Adria Tour was scheduled to take place in four cities in the Balkans from June 13 to July 5, but was canceled when Djokovic, his wife Jelena, three other players, three coaches and a player’s pregnant wife tested positive for the virus.
After testing positive, Djokovic apologized for causing harm and said the events were organized “to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons”.
World No.3 Dominic Thiem, who competed in the Adria Tour, also defended Djokovic, telling CNN Sport last month that the events “did not break any law.”
Strict measures have been proposed by organizers to allow the US Open to take place, including the idea of creating a bubble for players at an airport hotel outside of Manhattan – where most players stay. – and limit the number of entourage to one.
The first WTA tournament since March is set to begin Monday as preparations for the US Open begin.
It was announced that a player had tested positive for coronavirus before the Palermo Ladies Open, but that the tournament will still go on as planned.