- They haven’t received more than three caps with their current national team
- All three appearances were at age 21 or younger
- At least three years have passed since their last cap
- None of these appearances were in a FIFA World Cup final or confederation final
- They are also eligible for several national teams
The rule change would impact relatively few players, but could theoretically reduce national programs limiting players just to keep them further out of the reach of other national team programs. It will be voted on at the 70th FIFA Congress, which will be held practically next month from Zurich.
Players of any age are already free to change national representation if they have only participated in friendly matches for a national team. As part of the proposed change, players could also take part in World Cup or Confederation qualifying matches, or other official tournaments such as UEFA or the Concacaf Nations League, and still change d national team if they meet the five criteria above.