New Brunswick doctor facing emergency measures after cluster of COVID-19 cases

0
70



© Provided by The Canadian Press

CAMPBELLTON, NB – A doctor suspected of triggering a COVID-19 outbreak in northern New Brunswick has been charged with violating the province’s Emergency Measures Act.

On October 26, Dr. Jean Robert Ngola received a notice to appear in Campbellton Provincial Court for failing to comply with a directive or requirement of the law.

His lawyer, Joël Etienne, confirmed the news today.

Ngola said he traveled from Campbellton, New Brunswick, Quebec in May to pick up his four-year-old daughter because the girl’s mother was due to attend a funeral in Africa.

He admitted that upon returning from the overnight trip he did not self-isolate for 14 days, but says this was in line with the practices of his colleagues and superiors, and he believes he has may have caught the virus from a patient or another healthcare professional. .

At a press conference in late May, Prime Minister Blaine Higgs did not name Ngola, but referred to an “irresponsible” health worker and said the case had been referred to the RCMP.

The Campbellton-area cluster of cases involved around 40 people who tested positive for COVID-19, resulting in two deaths.

Etienne says Ngola was not “patient zero” and the prime minister must apologize.

The attorney says the potential charge is a regulatory issue, not a criminal charge.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on August 17, 2020.

The canadian press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here