The media will be excluded from the Republican national convention where Donald Trump is expected to be re-elected as presidential candidate later this month, a spokeswoman said on Saturday, citing the coronavirus restrictions.
As Trump called off public components of the convention in Florida last month, citing cases of the virus across the country, 336 delegates are expected to gather in Charlotte, North Carolina on August 24 to officially vote to make Trump the GOP standard. bearer once again.
Nomination conventions have traditionally been supposed to be a boon to the media, as political parties seek to take advantage of the attention events attract to get their message out to as many voters as possible. If the GOP’s decision holds, it will mark the first party nominating convention in modern history to be closed to journalists.
“Given the health restrictions and restrictions in place in the state of North Carolina, we anticipate the closure of Charlotte operations. [to] press from Friday August 21 to Monday August 24, ”said a spokesperson for the convention.
“We are happy to let you know if this changes, but we are working within parameters set by state and local guidelines for the number of people who can attend events.”
Privately, some GOP delegations have raised logistical concerns when traveling within either city, citing the growing number of jurisdictions imposing mandatory quarantine orders on travelers returning from states with peaks of the virus.
The Charlotte Delegate Subset will vote by proxy on behalf of the more than 2,500 official convention delegates. Alternate delegates and guests have already been banned.