A six-year-old girl nearly choked on a McDonald’s chicken nugget that her mother said contained a blue surgical mask.
Maddie was eating a Happy Meal on Tuesday that her mother Laura Arber, 32, had bought in Aldershot, Hampshire, part of the fast food giant.
She managed to get the chicken nugget out of her daughter’s mouth and said, “It was a mask, it was absolutely cooked in”.
McDonald’s said it was investigating.
Ms Arber told the BBC: ‘I had to put my finger in her mouth to make her sick and it appeared all speckled with blue.
“I couldn’t figure out what it was but I looked at the box of nuggets and I could see something blue coming out of another.
“It was a mask, it was absolutely cooked in it, it was gone like chewing gum. It was disgusting.
“If I hadn’t been in the room, I just don’t know what might have happened.
The mother of four said she returned directly to the restaurant to speak to the manager who told her the nuggets were not cooked on site.
Ms Arber said she and her daughter were fired from McDonald’s “for life”.
She said she wanted to educate other parents, adding, “Just because it says it’s a Happy Meal doesn’t mean it’s safe. ”
McDonald’s said food safety is “of the utmost importance to us” and said the company places great importance on quality control, following “high standards to avoid imperfections”.
A spokesperson said: “As soon as we were made aware of the issue, we opened a full investigation with the affected supplier and took steps to ensure that any product in this batch was removed from restaurants.
“We would like to issue a full apology to the customer in question and understand that he is currently in conversation with our customer service team. “