Lightweight 9/11 New York tribute to be reinstated with state, Bloomberg backing

0
72


The 9/11 “Tribute in Light” memorial will take place after all.

This week, New York said the tribute to victims who died on September 11, 2001 will be canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

But on Saturday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the state would provide the necessary support for the art installation.

“NYS will provide health personnel and supervision so that @ Sept11Memorial can safely ride the Tribute in Light,” Cuomo announced on Twitter. “I am happy that we can continue this powerful tribute to those we lost on September 11 and to the heroism of all New Yorkers. We will never forget. ”

He said former Mayor Mike Bloomberg would support the memorial.

ANNUAL NEW YORK CITY SEPTEMBER 11 LIGHT TRIBUTE CANCELED FOR CORONAVIRUS

The moon traverses the annual Tribute in Light illuminated over the lower Manhattan skyline on the 18th anniversary of the September 11 attacks in New York City on September 11, 2019, as seen from Jersey City, New Jersey. (Photo by Gary Hershorn / Getty Images)

“Throughout my tenure as mayor, the Tribute in Light has been a powerful symbol of New York’s recovery after September 11. I’m happy that it shines once again this year as a beacon of our city’s resilience, ”said Bloomberg, who chairs the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, said in a statement.

GERALDO RIVERA SLAMS NYC CANCELING THE 9/11 TRIBUTE IN LIGHT

The two vertical beams of light, reminiscent of the Twin Towers, were traditionally installed in lower Manhattan in the days leading up to the anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks. But officials at the National September 11 Memorial and Museum said Thursday they would not do so this year for fear the virus could spread among the workers needed to create the display.

The lights first appeared in March 2002, according to the Municipal Art Society, which originally presented the installation. They can be seen for miles.

The decision to cancel the “Tribute in Light” memorial came after the museum also abandoned the in-person reading of the names of the 9/11 victims at the annual Ground Zero ceremony.

But the Tunnel to Towers Foundation announced earlier that it will hold a separate memorial service on September 11.

Its ‘Never Forget’ ceremony will allow families to continue honoring loved ones by reading their names in person after the 9/11 memorial and museum said families would not be invited to participate.

The foundation said it will provide masks and hand sanitizer and impose social distancing on everyone present.

After the ceremony of light was canceled earlier this week, Fox News’ Geraldo Rivera called it “the saddest story.”

“It’s like the Biden-Harris command that everyone, regardless of state or countryside, suburb, city, regardless of setting, must wear a mask in public,” Rivera said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“It stinks to stick with the president and make life as dark as possible and then try to take responsibility for it on Donald Trump,” Rivera added. “It’s the toughest kind of partisan politics you can imagine. “

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here