A U.S. judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit by President Donald Trump to block the execution of an eight-year grand jury subpoena of his personal and corporate tax records.
Trump’s lawyers have issued an emergency appeal for the ruling of U.S. District Judge Voctor Marrero.
Marrero’s decision echoes his earlier ruling in the case, which was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court last month. The high court returned the case to Marrero so that Trump’s lawyers could have another chance to challenge the subpoena issued by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.
Trump, through his attorneys, argued that the subpoena was issued in bad faith, could have been politically motivated, and amounted to harassment against him, especially since the wording mimicked the language of subpoenas to Congress.
Vance’s attorneys have said they are entitled to numerous files to facilitate a “complex financial investigation” and they cited in their documents public reports of “widespread and prolonged criminal conduct within the Trump organization.”
Trump’s attorneys said the 2011 tax records request was a retaliatory measure after the president’s company, the Trump organization, challenged the scope of a subpoena to obtain June 1, 2015 records as of September 20, 2018.
This time frame concerns an investigation into the earnings of two women, including porn actress Stormy Daniels, to keep them silent during the 2016 presidential campaign into alleged extramarital affairs with Trump. Trump has denied the business.
Trump, who is campaigning for re-election in November, has fought efforts by lawmakers and prosecutors to get his tax records, which should shed light on his financial dealings. He also defied decades of precedent as a presidential candidate by refusing to release his tax returns.