House Democrats announce contempt proceedings against Mike Pompeo

0
51


The Democratic-led House Foreign Affairs Committee announced on Friday that it would initiate proceedings to hold Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in contempt.The resolution for contempt of Pompeo, President Donald Trump’s second secretary of state, is being drafted in response to a “continued refusal by a Cabinet official to comply” with a Congressional subpoena and “his political abuse transparency of the Department’s resources, ”the committee said.

President Eliot Engel, DN.Y., said in a statement that Pompeo “has shown an alarming disregard for the laws and rules governing his own conduct and for the tools provided by the constitution to prevent government corruption. “.

“He seems to think that the office he occupies, the department he runs, the staff he oversees and the taxpayers’ money who pay for all of this are there for his personal and political benefit,” Engel said.

Engel cited Pompeo’s alleged refusal to cooperate fully with Trump’s impeachment inquiry, as well as the senior diplomat’s speech to the Republican National Convention this week, which was recorded in Jerusalem.

The president also criticized Pompeo’s refusal to hand over documents to Democrats that the State Department had already given to a Republican-led Senate committee investigating allegations related to Democratic candidate Joe Biden.

“I don’t want to be part of it. In no case will I amplify [Russia President Vladimir] Putin’s conspiracy theories debunked or give them credit. And I will not stand there and see the Committee or the House treated with such disdain by anyone, ”Engel said.

The State Department did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on the announcement.

This is the latest news. Please come back for updates.

– CNBC Amanda macias contributed to this report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here