‘Health restrictions’ mean no media at Trump’s re-appointment in North Carolina

0
9


The vote for the re-appointment of US President Donald Trump is expected to take place in private later this month, without members of the media present, a spokesperson for the Republican National Convention said, citing the coronavirus.While Trump canceled public components of the convention in Florida last month due to increased COVID-19 cases across the country, 336 delegates are expected to gather in Charlotte, North Carolina, on August 24 to vote officially to make Trump the Republican standard. -carrier once again.

Nomination conventions have traditionally been supposed to be a boon to the media, as political parties seek to take advantage of the attention events attract to get their message out to as many voters as possible. If the GOP’s decision holds, it will be the first party nominating convention in modern history to be closed to journalists.

“Given the health restrictions and restrictions in place in the state of North Carolina, we anticipate the closure of Charlotte operations. [to the] press from Friday August 21 to Monday August 24, ”said a spokesperson for the convention. We are happy to let you know if that changes, but we are working within parameters set by state and local guidelines regarding the number of people who can attend events. ”

The decision was first reported by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Privately, some Republican delegations have raised logistical concerns on the trip to the event, citing the growing number of jurisdictions imposing mandatory quarantine orders on travelers returning from states with an increase in cases.

The Charlotte Delegate Subset will vote by proxy on behalf of the more than 2,500 official convention delegates. Alternate delegates and guests have already been banned.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here