GOP says Trump’s re-appointment to be held in private

0
11


WASHINGTON – The vote for the re-appointment of President Donald Trump is expected to take place in private later this month, without members of the press present, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Convention said, citing the coronavirus. As Trump called off public components of the convention in Florida last month, citing cases of the virus across the country, 336 delegates are expected to gather in Charlotte, North Carolina on August 24 to officially vote to make Trump the GOP standard. -carrier once again.

Nomination conventions have traditionally been supposed to be a boon to the media, as political parties seek to take advantage of the attention events attract to get their message out to as many voters as possible. If the GOP’s decision holds, it will be the first party nominating convention in modern history to be closed to journalists.

“Given the health restrictions and limitations in place in the state of North Carolina, we expect Charlotte operations to be closed from Friday, August 21 through Monday, August 24,” said a spokesperson for the convention. “We are happy to let you know if this changes, but we are working within parameters set by state and local guidelines for the number of people who can attend events. ”

The decision was first reported by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Privately, some GOP delegations have raised logistical concerns when traveling to either city, citing the growing number of jurisdictions imposing mandatory quarantine orders on travelers returning from states with outbreaks of the virus.

The Charlotte Delegate Subset will vote by proxy on behalf of the more than 2,500 official convention delegates. Alternate delegates and guests have already been banned.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here