‘It was a horrible performance – we hit rock bottom’: emotional Gerard Pique says Barcelona need bottom-up rebuilding after humiliating 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich
- Gerard Pique called for full Barcelona reconstruction after humiliating defeat
- The Catalans were destroyed 8-2 by Bayern Munich on Friday night
- Pique says club ‘have hit rock bottom’ and were emotional after the game
- He added he would leave the club if new blood was needed for the defense
Gerard Pique has called for huge changes at Barcelona after the worst European result in club history.
“It was a horrible performance and it leaves us with a terrible feeling,” said the defender in the 8-2 loss. “We have hit rock bottom.
“We feel embarrassed. You can’t compete like we did tonight. It is very difficult to bear.
Gerard Pique called for changes at Barcelona after being blown away by Bayern
The Catalan giants were humiliated by the German champions as they lost 8-2 in Lisbon
Referring to the previous European disasters against PSG, Roma and last year against Liverpool, he said: “And this is not the first time, it is not the second time, nor the third time. “
Pique’s comments will be interpreted as a direct criticism of President Josep Bartomeu, who will now come under massive pressure to call an election even with a year left in office.
He said: “The clubs need changes and I’m not talking about the coach or any particular player. The club needs a profound change. We have hit rock bottom. We have to think and do what’s best for the club. “
Pique says club need top-down changes as he enters another crisis
Pique included himself in his review, offering to leave the club if new blood is needed
Pique included himself in the review. He said: “I will be the first to offer to go if we need new blood.”
Coach Quique Setien said: “We started well but they hurt us. “
When asked if this was the end of a cycle at the club, he replied, “I’ve only been here six months. If Pique said what he said, there will be something in there. Decisions will have to be taken for the best for the future of the club ”.
Setien still has two years on his contract. Asked about his future amid reports he will be sacked, he said: “It is too early to say whether or not I will continue. It does not depend on me.
Quique Setien declined to speculate on his future despite reports claiming he would be sacked