<< Après avoir été informés de neuf cas de Covid-19 à l’école secondaire North Paulding après la première semaine d’enseignement en personne, ainsi que de la possibilité que ce nombre augmente s’il y a actuellement des tests en attente qui s’avèrent positifs, nous avons a consulté le ministère de la Santé publique et passe temporairement la méthode d’enseignement à l’apprentissage numérique à l’ENSP », a indiqué la lettre du directeur général des écoles du comté de Paulding, Brian Otott. The school will only offer digital learning on Mondays and Tuesdays. On Tuesday evening, families will be notified of continued distance education or whether students can return to school, the letter said. During this time, "the school will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected," Otott wrote. The school district will also work with the Georgia Department of Public Health to identify anyone else who has had close contact with the confirmed patients and who have not yet been identified.
Principal Gabe Carmona wrote in a separate letter on Saturday that “six students and three staff who were at the school for at least some time last week … have since reported to us that they have tested positive.”
High school in Dallas, Georgia, about 40 miles from Atlanta, caught the nation’s attention last week with a photo posted to Twitter by Hannah Watters. The viral image showed Hannah’s classmates in a crowded school hallway with few masks visible. The school district resumed classes on August 3.
“I was concerned for the safety of everyone in this building and everyone in the county because the precautions the CDC and the guidelines the CDC has been telling us for months now were not being followed,” Hannah told CNN on Thursday.
In his Sunday letter, Otott apologized to families for “any inconvenience this schedule change may cause, but I hope we can all agree that the health and safety of our students and staff takes precedence. on any other consideration at present ”.
“Good and necessary problems”, says the pupil
Otott previously said in a letter to the community that the viral photo was taken out of context and the high school class changes were a challenge.
“This is an area we continue to work on in this new environment to find practical ways to further prevent students from coming together. The students are in this hallway environment for a brief period as they move on to their next class, ”the principal wrote.
He added: “There’s no question the photo doesn’t look good. … Wearing a mask is a personal choice, and there is no practical way to enforce a mandate to wear them. ”
Otott’s letter also stated that the district expected to have to make “adjustments.” The district previously decided to do virtual learning days on Thursday and Friday for students receiving in-person instruction, “so all of our schools can step back and assess how things are going so far.” Otott said.
Hannah said she was initially suspended for posting the photo. But on Friday, her mother told CNN the suspension was lifted. Lynne Watters spoke with the school principal on Friday morning, she said, and was told her daughter would not be suspended and that a suspension would not appear on her record. Hannah can go back to school on Monday.
Hannah doesn’t regret sharing the photo, she told CNN.
“I would like to say that these are good and necessary problems,” she said. “My biggest concern is not just protecting myself,” she said. “Everyone is safe because behind every teacher, student and staff there is family, there are friends, and I just want to keep everyone safe.