Gatwick, which is owned by VINCI Airports and Global Infrastructure Partners, said in a statement Wednesday that it only operated around 20% of flights last year and that it would now begin formal consultations on the cuts. jobs.
The airport said more than 75% of its staff are participating in the UK government’s job retention program, which is scheduled to end in October.
Gatwick added that it was restructuring its business to further reduce operating and personnel costs in light of the “dramatic impact COVID-19[feminine[feminine had on its passenger and air traffic numbers “.
The airport said in a statement that in August, generally one of its busiest months, the number of passengers fell by more than 80% compared to the number of passengers in the same month last year.
The company said it tried to protect the airport in March by cutting costs to save as many jobs as possible and securing a £ 300million bank loan.
Passenger numbers are so low at the airport that Gatwick currently only operates from its northern terminal.
Stewart Wingate, managing director of Gatwick Airport, said: “If anyone has any doubts about the devastating impact of COVID-19 on the aviation and travel industry, today’s news The brief we shared with our staff regarding the proposed job cuts is a stark reminder.
“We are currently in talks with the government to see what sector specific support can be put in place for the industry right now, alongside mechanisms that will give our passengers greater certainty on where and when they can. travel safely abroad.
“This support will not only help Gatwick but also the wider regional economy which depends on the airport.