France postpones launch of COVID-19 economic recovery plan to September

0
82


French President Emmanuel Macron speaks during the press conference after a meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at Fort de Bregancon, Bormes-les-Mimosas, France, August 20, 2020. Christophe Simon / Pool via REUTERS

PARIS (Reuters) – The French government on Saturday said it would unveil details of its 100 billion euros (£ 90 billion) plan to reinvigorate the economy in the first week of September, instead of next Tuesday, so that it focuses on preparing for the new school run.

“The stimulus plan is ready, the timetable for its implementation still is,” government spokesman Gabriel Attal said in a statement.

Schools are expected to reopen on September 1, after most were closed in a two-month lockdown earlier this year to fight the coronavirus, and the government is working to ensure that protective measures are adequate, a declared Attal.

France has already outlined some of the parameters of its crisis measures, in particular reductions in internal corporate taxation, investments in the promotion of youth employment and the financing of environmental initiatives.

Reporting by Elizabeth Pineau; Written by Sarah White; Edited by Mark Heinrich

Our standards:Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here