Continue to take precautions
The city is reopening, but there is still transmission of COVID-19 in New York City. As you move around the city this summer, do so safely.
COVID-19 travel advisory
If you’ve recently traveled to New York City from a state with a high rate of COVID-19:
- You must quarantine yourself for 14 days from the day you left this state.
- You should safely separate and only go out for critical needs such as medical care.
For a list of states that meet the criteria for quarantine required due to significant community transmission, visit https://ny.gov/states.
The NYC Test & Trace Corps offers assistance to help you separate in a free, safe private hotel, or at home. Call( ), if you cannot safely quarantine other people in your home, or if you develop symptoms of COVID-19 and cannot speak to your doctor.
All New Yorkers Should Get Tested For COVID-19
The COVID-19 test is FREE, confidential and safe. All New Yorkers can get a FREE COVID-19 diagnostic test, whether or not they have symptoms or are at increased risk. New Yorkers can also get free COVID-19 antibody tests to find out if they have been exposed.
NYC Health + Hospitals offers free tests at hospitals, health centers and new pop-up locations in all five boroughs. Just without an appointment – no appointment required!
NYC Health + Hospitals also offers antibody tests at 11 hospitals and some health centers in Gotham. Test results are available within 3 to 5 days at city-run NYC Health + Hospitals.
Find a NYC test site in your community:
The tests are free
You don’t need health insurance to get a COVID-19 or antibody test at a NYC Health + hospital. If you have insurance, please bring your insurance card so that the insurance plan can be billed. You will not have to pay copayments or coinsurance.
Patients without insurance will be referred to a financial advisor to enroll in an affordable health insurance plan, like MetroPlus, or enroll in NYC Care.
You will not be asked about immigration status. COVID-19 testing and care services are not a public benefit under public charge rule.
Waiting for the results
You will usually receive test results within 3 to 5 days if you have been tested at a NYC Health + Hospitals facility. Results may take longer on other sites.
While you are waiting for the results, and after your results, it is important to continue to take whatever steps are necessary to protect yourself and others:
- Stay Home When Sick – Go only for essential medical care and tests or other essential errands.
- Keep a physical distance – Stay at least 6 feet from other people.
- Wear a face mask – You can be contagious without symptoms. Protect those around you by wearing a face mask.
- Keep Your Hands Clean – Wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
If your test is positive – what next?
If your test is positive, it means you have COVID-19 and may be at risk of passing it on to others. One of our trained contact tracers will contact you by phone as soon as possible to make sure you get the medical care and support you need to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Our Contact Tracers will be able to offer a wide range of assistance services to help you separate safely in a free, private and comfortable hotel or home. They will also ask you about your loved ones to offer help and help them find the best place to safely separate from others.
Repeat the test
If your previous COVID-19 test was negative, you should take another test if you:
- have symptoms of COVID-19.
- spent time in large crowds
- had contact with someone you think may have COVID-19
- Live or work in a collective residential setting, such as a nursing home or shelter.
- You plan to spend time with someone at high risk for serious COVID-19 illness, including people 65 years of age or older and people with serious underlying medical conditions.
Learn more about the COVID-19 test
English | Español | Shqip | االعربية | বাংলা | Français | Haitian Creole हिंदी | 한국어 | Polski | Русски د ُ chinois | الالعربية