Egypt investigates suspected gang rape at luxury hotel

0
122


Published on: Amended:

Cairo (AFP)

The Egyptian prosecutor said on Wednesday he had ordered an investigation into an allegation of gang rape at a luxury hotel in Cairo in 2014 that surfaced on social media last month.

“The prosecution received a letter from the National Council of Women, accompanied by a complaint filed by one of the women who suffered sexual abuse from several people at the Fairmont Nile City hotel in Cairo in 2014”, the prosecutor said in a statement on Wednesday. .

Attached to the complaint filed Tuesday “were testimonies from people with knowledge of the incident,” added the prosecutor.

The results of the investigations will be announced “in due course,” the statement said.

The alleged assault, which took place at a five-star hotel in Cairo, involved a group of six men who allegedly drugged and raped a young woman, according to social media accounts.

The names and photos of the defendants, from well-to-do families, have been circulated widely online but AFP has not been able to verify their authenticity.

Egypt’s National Council of Women condemned threats of retaliation against women for reporting sexual misconduct last week.

The council “supports every woman and girl exposed to any… threat by providing all the necessary support,” he said.

In a statement last week, the Fairmont hotel said it had conducted an internal investigation but found “that at no time was any incident report filed with the hotel or with the police in hotel tourism ”.

The allegations are part of a resurgent #Metoo wave in the deeply conservative country, seeking to hold sexual predators accountable for their actions.

A 2013 study by UN Women found that 99% of women in Egypt had, at some point in their lives, been the victims of sexual harassment, either verbally or physically.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here