Deportation flight of asylum seekers to continue despite last minute legal action | UK News

0
118


Charter flight to evacuate asylum seekers recently arrived in the UK on small boats is set to take off despite last-minute High Court actions in the early hours of Wednesday morning and other interventions that have brought at least 19 people not to board the plane. .The Home Office said up to 20 people would be placed on the charter flight to France and Germany. The Guardian knows of 19 people who had their removal instructions deferred by the Home Office, stayed in the High Court a few hours ago, or thought they would be on the flight, but then found out the ministry of the Interior had never given them any indications of dismissal. .

The 19 who have been suspended now have the possibility to make more detailed asylum procedures in the UK. The Home Office argued that all were previously in another European country – France or Germany – and should have their asylum claims processed there in a process known as the convention. of Dublin, under which an asylum application can be processed in the first safe European country. country in which an asylum seeker arrives.

The vulnerability of many of those threatened with deportation to mainland Europe is striking, with at least nine suffering from PTSD, at least eight torture survivors, seven at risk of suicide and several have attempted suicide since arriving. UK. at least three are victims of trafficking and at least three suffer physical injuries sustained by torture.

Many asylum seekers were detained during the last week of July. The charter flight was scheduled to take off at 7.45 am, but the Home Office does not reveal where the plane is to fly from.

The majority of asylum seekers scheduled to fly had their tickets deferred by the Home Office before legal action was required. Three cases were the subject of an emergency court action out of office hours late Tuesday evening and into the wee hours of Wednesday morning. All three have been granted stay orders in order to make more detailed representations on their asylum claims.

They filed on Monday pre-action protocols, the first step in the judicial review process, to try to stop the action of the Interior Ministry to remove them.

The people involved in the lawsuit come from countries such as Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and Yemen.

The 19 people who were to steal were represented by lawyers for Duncan Lewis.

Helen Baron, articling lawyer at Duncan Lewis Solicitors, said: “We are extremely relieved that 19 clients at risk of removal on August 12 had their removal instructions deferred by the Home Office, remained in court or confirmed that the Interior Ministry never in fact set directions for their removal. Many are extremely vulnerable and have suffered additional trauma as a result of their detention and fear of being deported after surviving horrors in Yemen, Kuwait, Iran and Afghanistan, as well as on their way to the UK . We will continue to fight for their protection in the UK. ”

Home Office sources confirmed that the charter flight was scheduled to take off on Wednesday morning, but declined to confirm the number of people on board. It is understood that they will issue a statement later.

The Home Office doesn’t release full statistics on those arriving here in small boats, but PA Media’s analysis puts the number of those who have crossed the Channel this year at more than 4,100. ‘Interior, Priti Patel, previously said that small boat arrivals would become a “rare phenomenon”. But instead, the number of crossings increased. She named a former Royal Marine, Dan O’Mahoney, “Commander of the Channel Underground Threat”.

Aid organizations and migration experts have urged the government to create safe and legal routes to the UK for asylum seekers, reduce the number of people making risky sea journeys to reach the UK, strengthen the provisions relating to family reunification and the granting of humanitarian visas.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here