COVID-19 in British Columbia: Public Display Incident at Surrey Show, UK Flight with Confirmed Case and Over 40 New Cases


The number of new cases today is comparable to that of the past few weeks.

Meanwhile, a public display incident took place in Surrey while a flight from the UK was confirmed with a COVID-19 connection.

British Columbia Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix issued a press release for today’s provincial update.

They have confirmed 47 new cases (including one linked to the cob) today, which is among the many elevated quantities reported in recent days.

Currently, there are 351 active cases.

The number of hospitalized cases continues to slowly increase: nine people are now in hospital, while six of those patients are in intensive care units.

The good news is that there is no new health care outbreak, leaving three outbreaks active, all in long-term care facilities.

In addition, there are no new community epidemics.

Fortunately, again, there are no new deaths, leaving the total number of deaths at 195 dead.

The cumulative provincial total is now 3,834 cases. During the pandemic, there were 1,132 cases in Vancouver Coastal Health; 2,015 to Fraser Health; 146 in Island Health; 384 in internal health; 91 in Northern Health; and 66 cases of people living outside of Canada.

A total of 3,288 people have now recovered.

The provincial health worker for C.
Province of British Columbia

Fraser Health has issued an alert for a public exposure incident at Hookah Lounge (10609 King George Highway) in Surrey. Anyone on the scene between midnight July 31 and 4 a.m. on August 1 and between midnight August 1 and 5 a.m. on August 2 should monitor themselves for symptoms.

Anyone who develops symptoms should immediately self-isolate and call 811 for a test.

Meanwhile, media have reported confirmed cases among firefighters and at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR).

CTV News reported on August 2 that two Vancouver firefighters also tested positive for COVID-19 on July 30 and 31, and all contacts have self-isolated.

In addition, Richmond News reported today that three YVR screening officers have tested positive for the coronavirus and are in quarantine. The airport has more than 700 screening officers.

A new international flight that has arrived at YVR has also been confirmed with COVID-19.

Anyone in rows 12-14 and 18 on Air Canada flight 855 (Lufthansa LH6812) between London, UK and Vancouver on July 28, should monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days after the flight.

If you develop symptoms, call 811 to arrange testing while self-isolating immediately.

British Columbia Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health Adrian Dix
Province of British Columbia

British Columbia became the first province in Canada to require travelers to self-isolate upon return, and similar measures have been adopted in other provinces and at the federal level.

On August 4, the British Columbia government issued a number of appeals to Service BC to help returning travelers and temporary foreign workers navigate their 14-day period of self-isolation.

Service BC employees have made more than 8,500 phone calls to temporary foreign workers since isolation plans became mandatory for all international arrivals.

In addition, staff also made more than 51,000 calls as of July 23 to confirm that self-isolation plans were continuing.

About 1,800 to 2,500 calls from more than 20 staff members are made to isolated people every day.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here