Coronavirus: UK puts Belgium, Andorra and Bahamas on quarantine list | Political news

0
65


Belgium, Bahamas and Andorra have been added to the UK’s coronavirus quarantine list, after an increase in cases in affected countries.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps tweeted that people arriving in the UK from those countries after 4 a.m. on Saturday should self-isolate for 14 days.

He said: “Data shows we need to remove Andorra, Belgium and the Bahamas from our coronavirus Travel Corridors list in order to reduce infection rates.”

The Foreign Office has also advised the British against all travel, except essential, to these three countries.

Latest move comes after UK’s four countries meet to examine public health risk of rising COVID-19[feminine[feminine cases in some areas.

Meanwhile, travelers from Brunei and Malaysia arriving in the UK will be exempt from quarantine measures after cases in both countries decrease.

The changes for Brunei and Malaysia – meaning they will be added to a list of travel lanes – will take effect in Wales from midnight Friday and from 4 a.m. next Tuesday in England and Scotland .



“The chief doctor was concerned about Spain”

Belgium has suffered a fourfold increase in infections since mid-July, with the latest figures showing 27.8 new cases per 100,000 inhabitants.

That’s much higher than the UK’s current 8.4, and is also higher than the 27.4 figure Spain had when the UK reimposed quarantine rules on arrivals last month. from there.

Belgian Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes last week introduced drastic new social distancing measures in the hope of avoiding a new national lockdown.

She announced a plan to limit contact outside each household to the same five people for a month to limit the spread of the virus.

:: Listen to the daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

In Andorra, new cases per week have increased fivefold since mid-July, while in the Bahamas, the weekly rate of cases peaked at 78.6 last week, up from 3.1 in mid-July.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned last month that there is “Signs of a second wave” of COVID-19 brewing in Europe.

But the World Health Organization says such speech is of no use, with an insistent spokesperson: “We are in the first wave. It will be a big wave. ”

Quarantine rules were introduced across the UK in early June, meaning anyone arriving in the country had to self-isolate for two weeks.

A list of low-risk countries where levels of coronavirus are lower has been established, but several have since been removed.

Travelers to Spain were struck by the announcement at the end of July, and those arriving in the country from Luxembourg are no longer exempt.

Ministers have balanced out the threat of further announcements in recent days, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden told Sky News: “It would be unwise of the government not to impose these restrictions if we believe there is a risk and we will impose these restrictions as soon as we believe the risk has materialized.

“We cannot risk importing it again from other countries where the incidence is increasing.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here