Some UK restaurants say they will continue the Eat Out to Help Out program in September with their own money because it has been so successful.
The latest data from HM Treasury shows diners used the government program more than 64 million times in its first three weeks.
Business owner Grosvenor has said it will subsidize discounted meals for tenants in Belgravia and Mayfair.
Other restaurants decide individually to extend the offer for customers.
New research from accounting giant EY shows comfort levels around dining out have increased since the government program was announced – 27% of UK consumers currently feel comfortable eating in a restaurant and only 23% will. in a bar or pub.
And data from Cardlytics shows casual dining spending rose 9% and visits climbed 14% last week, although spending and visits still fell 53% like-for-like from the same. week in 2019.
The program, which is now in its last week, offers restaurant, pub and cafe patrons 50% off their meals, up to a maximum of £ 10 per person.
It operated every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in August to encourage support for the hotel industry.
Grosvenor, one of London’s largest business owners, told the BBC that its restaurant and restaurant tenants were “very happy” with the project in August.
Grosvenor said it decided to fund the program for its tenants in September for an undisclosed amount, on the same terms as the original program, to help its tenants reduce their rents.
“Eat Out to Help Out has been a powerful tool in protecting jobs and local economies across the UK and we are working hard to help the West End and our tenants recover,” said Amelia Bright, Executive Director of Grosvenor’s London estate.
“Maintaining EOTHO will not only support the cafes, restaurants and bars to which we are leasing space, but will also help welcome more visitors and workers to Mayfair and Belgravia.
Grosvenor has fully waived rents for hundreds of food and beverage, charity and retail tenants in Belgravia and Mayfair for the months of April, May and June to reduce the financial burden on these businesses.
Industry body UK Hospitality said that the fact that companies are now looking to expand the program without government support “shows the huge success it has been for the industry.”
“The program has not only benefited businesses commercially, it also appears to have really boosted consumer confidence, which is just as important. These two arguments are very good arguments in favor of an official extension of the program, ”said Kate Nicholls, Managing Director of UK Hospitality. .
“The hospitality sector is still fragile and faces other challenges, but the extension of the Eat Out program could help businesses regain stability and allow them to preserve their jobs and livelihoods. ”
UK Hospitality said that a third of restaurants and bars still have not reopened.
Among restaurants that had opened, sales were increasing but still remained 20% below pre-pandemic levels, meaning restaurants were only able to achieve breakeven.
Here is a list of restaurant chains that have confirmed to the BBC that they will offer discounts of 50% or £ 10 per customer on meals in September:
- Burger and lobster
- Le Mayfair Chippy
- NAC (North Audley Kitchen)
- Pub Horse & Groom
- l’ETO Londres
- Jones Family Kitchen
- Peggy Porschen
- Pot La Poule
- The Duke of Wellington (pub)
- Pizza Pilgrims
- UNI Restaurant
- Chair & Brioches
- José Pizzaro
- Sticky mango
- Remoli pasta
- Aqua Kyoto
- Watery burst
- Hutong au Shard
- Le Gilbert Scott (St Pancras Renaissance Hotel)
- Saffron circle
- Darwin’s house
- Injure arms
- White Hart
- Horse and jockey
Tyne et Wear