Mayor of London Sadiq Khan wrote to Prime Minister following newspaper articles on “nuclear” plans to avoid another nationwide lockdown in the event of additional peaks COVID-19[feminine[feminine infections.
According to the Sunday Times, Mr Johnson last week organized a ‘war game exercise’ at 10 Downing Street to find out how to respond to a second wave of coronavirus.
The ministers concluded that people would be advised not to enter and exit London, raising the prospect of restrictions for those inside a “border point” around the M25, the newspaper said.
In his letter to the Prime Minister on Monday, Khan expressed his anger that London officials had not been involved in discussing plans that would mean “effectively sealing off the city”.
“Our surprise is that contingency plans of this scope have been discussed and tested without the involvement or awareness of the London government,” Khan said.
“This is clearly totally unacceptable and an affront to London and Londoners. ”
The mayor of London said in the letter, also signed by London Council Chairman Peter Johnson, that he and other officials in the capital “know our communities and their needs much better than the national government.”
Mr Khan criticized how decisions about the coronavirus response “continue to be made without consultation with those who run and understand the country’s largest city.”
“Some of these decisions – and the resulting public message – don’t work for the unique nature of a large metropolitan area the size of London,” the letter said.
“The government would understand this better if the government in London was treated properly and involved in the decision-making. ”
:: Listen to the All Out Politics podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker
Mr Khan accused Mr Johnson of ‘pushing back democratically elected representatives who understand their communities better than the central government’ – and warned that the Prime Minister’s approach ‘will lead to worse results for Londoners and the country in his together “.
“It must stop,” he added.
In response to Mr Khan’s letter, a high-level government source told Sky News: “We released details of the new local lockdown powers two weeks ago with these details.
“They were widely reported back then and if the Mayor of London had paid attention he would have noticed. “