Boris Johnson reportedly considering asking more people in England to participate in the protection program – to avoid a new national lockdown with its economic consequences, if there is a big increase COVID-19[feminine[femininecase.
A Sunday Times report said people between the ages of 50 and 70 could be given personalized risk assessments, taking into account factors such as age and medical conditions, before being asked to protect themselves in the event of a ‘epidemic.
That would add even more people to the 2.2 million people deemed most vulnerable and urged to protect themselves in society during the virus’s spring peak. The current council ended on Saturday.
As part of a strategy to tackle a possible second wave of coronavirus in the future, the Prime Minister is also reportedly considering lockdown conditions in London.
Ideas include restricting travel beyond the M25 and banning staying in other people’s homes, such as policies implemented in local lockdowns imposed on Leicester and parts of north-west England the last days.
Measures to prevent a second lockdown were discussed by Mr Johnson during what has been described as a “war game” session with Chancellor Rishi Sunak on Wednesday, according to the reports.
Downing Street sources distanced themselves from the details of the reports, calling them “speculative.”
But that speculation comes after the prime minister was forced to postpone the latest lockdown easing on Friday.
The planned reopening of some businesses in the leisure and beauty sectors has been delayed due to fears that the prevalence of coronavirus was increasing for the first time since May.
:: Listen to the daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker
Experts have already suggested that pubs could be closed in exchange for completely reopening schools in September.
It follows a warning from England’s chief medical officer Chris Whitty that the country was “near the limit” in how many elements of normal life could be safely resumed.
It has been less than a month since pubs were allowed to reopen after the virus peaked, but Professor Graham Medley, a member of the Science Advisory Group for Emergencies, said the ‘compromise’ may be needed for education children. .
Most schools closed at the end of March as the UK was locked out, although many remained open to children of key workers and vulnerable students.
More than half of the students struggled to learn at home during the lockdown, according to an investigation by the Bureau of National Statistics, raising concerns about the continued closure of schools.
Meanwhile, the Department of Health and Welfare has denied abandoning its promise to regularly test nursing home residents during the summer.
The Sunday Times reported that a leaked memo from Professor Jane Cummings, the government’s director of adult welfare testing, to local authority leaders said that “the previously stated timeframes for the deployment of regular home testing of care ”were changed due to“ unexpected delays ”.
Regular testing of residents and staff was supposed to have started on July 6 but will now begin on September 7, according to the Press Association.
A DHSC spokesperson said: ‘It is completely wrong to suggest that care homes have been deliberately deprived of testing resources and that any nursing home resident or staff with symptoms can immediately access testing. free. “