Coronavirus map LIVE: Greater Manchester declares major incident as infection rates rise | UK | News

0
36


The decision was taken by the Strategic Coordination Group over the weekend after their meeting to discuss increased lockdown restrictions announced last week in parts of the Northwest. New measures prohibit people from different households from meeting inside their homes or in gardens, while prohibiting separated households from mingling in pubs, restaurants and other places of hospitality. Of the 20 local authority areas most affected by Covid-19 infections in England, the boroughs of Greater Manchester – which have nearly 3 million people – make up more than a third of the list, with seven entries.

Sir Richard Leese, Head of Manchester City Council, said: “People shouldn’t be worried that a major incident has been reported. “He called the move “standard practice for complex situations” and said it would create a “central command structure” to allow agencies to “leverage additional resources”.

The decision was taken by the Strategic Coordination Group over the weekend after their meeting to discuss increased lockdown restrictions announced last week in parts of the Northwest.

New measures prohibit people from different households from meeting inside their homes or in gardens, while prohibiting separated households from mingling in pubs, restaurants and other places of hospitality.

Of the 20 local authority areas most affected by Covid-19 infections in England, the boroughs of Greater Manchester – which have nearly 3 million people – make up more than a third of the list, with seven entries.

The move comes after the Labor Mayor of Greater Manchester tweeted: ‘I listened to the government when they came to see me late on Thursday and asked for our support for further restrictions.

“I ask them now to listen to us: please restore the protection policy in Greater Manchester from tomorrow.

“Not to do so is a mistake and is inhumane. ”

(THIS IS A LIVE BLOG – SCROLL DOWN FOR REGULAR UPDATES)

8:50 am update: “We were taking people to die!” Heartbreaking tale from paramedic on COVID-19 crisis

A paramedic has revealed the traumatic situations she faced during the height of the coronavirus pandemic in April this year.

Paramedic Samantha was asked how bad it was in primary care at the height of the pandemic.

She told LBC’s Matt Stadlen that she never told her family how bad it was because people died on their own.

At the peak of the deadly virus, 4,419 people died in late April. The frontline worker said she believed the coronavirus pandemic would lead to a diagnosis of mental health issues among many NHS staff.

8:38 am update: 90-minute “game-changer” tests, Sayhs Zahawi

Business and Industry Minister Nadhim Zahawi described the 90-minute tests for the coronavirus as a “game changer.”

He told BBC Breakfast: ‘This is a game-changer, as the ability to take a test of just over an hour or 90 minutes will make a huge difference in our response to the coronavirus whether in hospitals if any. one is coming for surgery and that people need to know. very quickly if they have coronavirus.

“You have to be able to test very quickly and get accurate results quickly. ”

Asked whether the tests will be used in home care facilities, Mr Zahawi said that 50,000 tests are delivered to care facilities daily, adding: “It will make another difference because being able to administering these tests without any clinical training is another game-changer. ”

8:35 a.m. update: Germany posed to start testing travelers

Mandatory testing of travelers returning to Germany from countries at high risk of COVID-19 infection will come into effect later this week, Health Minister Jens Spahn said.

He told German channel ARD: “We have the first projects.

“We want to coordinate this well with the States, because they must be able to implement it at airports and train stations. ”

8:22 am update: Sadiq Khan orders Boris Johnson to stop ‘lock down London’ plan

Sadiq Khan ordered Boris Johnson not to shut down London in an angry letter in which he complains of not being informed of the government’s plans.

Mr Khan was writing after news emerged of an exercise held last week in which a major COVID-19 resurgence in the capital was central.

Reports in multiple media have suggested that the M25 would be used as a “quarantine ring” – effectively isolating the city.

Mr Khan writes: “Our surprise is such that far-reaching contingency plans have been discussed and tested without the involvement of the London government. “

8:19 a.m. update: Wastewater monitoring stepped up in an attempt to stop the second wave

Health experts are to start testing wastewater to identify coronavirus hot spots across the UK.

The results of the program will indicate which areas of the country need to be shut down to prevent a second wave of infections.

The tests are being rolled out across the country after trials at 44 sites in England provided specific information on local outbreaks of COVID-19.

Scientists behind the tests believe that infected people shed viral material in their feces within hours of symptoms appearing, meaning regular sewage checks could identify the presence of the virus much faster. than swab testing.

Under the existing program, people are only tested once they start showing symptoms that normally take five days to appear.

Researchers at Bangor University in north Wales have been analyzing wastewater since March and found the volume of virus in samples dropped after the lockdown was imposed.

7:52 a.m. update: HSBC suffers earnings crash

HSBC suffered a 65% drop in its pre-tax profit in the first half of the year as Europe’s largest bank was hit by lower interest rates and a coronavirus disruption.

The bank reported profits of US $ 4.3 billion (£ 3.2 billion) in the half-year to June 30, compared to $ 12.4 billion (£ 9.5 billion) at the same period in 2019.

The bank has had a scorching year in the markets, with London-listed stocks falling more than 40% from 595p to 342p as of June 30.

Group CEO Noel Quinn said: “Our performance in the first half of the year has been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic, falling interest rates, increasing geopolitical risk and increased levels of volatility in markets. ”

7.43am update: major incident in Greater Manchester

The surge in the number of coronavirus cases has prompted authorities in Greater Manchester to declare a major incident amid assurances that there is “no reason to be alarmed”.

The decision was taken by the Strategic Coordination Group over the weekend after their meeting to discuss increased lockdown restrictions announced last week in parts of the Northwest.

New measures prohibit people from different households from meeting inside their homes or in gardens, while prohibiting separated households from mingling in pubs, restaurants and other places of hospitality.

Of the 20 local authority areas most affected by Covid-19 infections in England, the boroughs of Greater Manchester – which have nearly 3 million people – make up more than a third of the list, with seven entries.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here