Smaller charter cruise companies were among the first to start canceling 2021 crossings last month, but now larger lines have joined their ranks.
Seabourn, the ultra-luxury line of the Carnival Corporation, has canceled upcoming crossings on three of its ships.
Download the new Independent Premium app
Share the full story, not just the headlines
Travel on Seabourn Encore and Seabourn Ovation will be canceled until November 25, 2020 and December 20, 2020, respectively. But travel on Seabourn Sojourn, which offers the company’s global cruise experience, will be canceled until May 24, 2021.
The company said that “the decision to cancel additional trips is a proactive action to address the circumstances that continue to evolve from the overall response to the COVID-19 situation”.
Josh Leibowitz, President of Seabourn, said, “We’ve been saying for some time that our resumption of service will be phased in, and this action reflects that discussion. The health, safety and well-being of our customers, crew and people in the destinations we visit remain a top priority.
“Like many who watch the travel industry, we are encouraged by the emerging signs around the world that indicate the progress of the return journey. When our scientific and medical experts and our destinations are able to resume travel on Seabourn, we will be ready.
Passengers on affected crossings will be reimbursed, with the exception of those who have booked the World Cruise experience, which will be postponed to 2022.
UK-based P&O Cruises, which is also owned by Carnival Corporation, has also extended its cancellations.
All of her trips will be canceled until November 12, 2020. However, Aurora’s Caribbean and South America Adventure and Arcadia’s World Cruise vacations, which are longer itineraries, have been canceled until March 2021.
In a statement, the company said, “We have taken note of the guidelines from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and extended our break in operations by one month. It is clear that as long as the guidelines are in place, it is not advisable for us to resume sailing. ”
Affected customers will be offered refunds.
The FCO continues to advise against cruises, although several lines have restarted or are resuming vacations.
Last week, Hurtigruten, the Norwegian shipping company, was forced to stop expedition cruises after 36 crew members and “several guests” aboard the Roald Amundsen tested positive for Covid-19.
Company Managing Director Daniel Skjeldam said: “The safety and well-being of our guests and crew is Hurtigruten’s number one priority.
“We are now focusing all available efforts to take care of our guests and colleagues. We work closely with Norwegian national and local health authorities for monitoring, information, further testing and screening for infections.
“In light of the recent increase in the number of new cases of Covid-19 around the world, the only responsible choice is to suspend all shipping crossings until we are absolutely confident that we can conduct our operations. in accordance with all the requirements of the authorities and with the strictest. requirements that we have set for ourselves. “