Health Minister Robin Swann has expressed concern about the “growing number” of Covid-19 cases in Northern Ireland.
Forty-eight new cases have been registered in the past 24 hours and 194 people have tested positive in the past seven days.
Mr Swann said there was now an average of 27 cases per day, up from three “a few weeks ago”.
He also expressed concern that nine people with the virus had been admitted to hospital.
“Two of them are currently in intensive care,” he said.
“This highlights the continuing threat of Covid-19 and we must all do everything in our power to address it. ”
The majority of the 48 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 recorded in the past 24 hours were in Antrim and Newtownabbey, where 14 other people have been diagnosed.
A total of 557 people have died from Covid-19 in Northern Ireland and there have been 6,188 confirmed cases.
Mr Swann said contact tracing remains key to tackling the virus.
He also urged people to use the new Stop COVID NI app which he said was “fundamental in this fight.”
“I am delighted that there have been over 230,000 downloads. However, I urge everyone to share the app with friends and family who don’t have it yet, ”he said.
“The more people who have it, the more effective it will be. ”
The Minister of Health stressed that it is vital that people continue to wash their hands, cover their faces and keep their distance.
Since Monday August 10, wearing a face mask has become mandatory in shops and other enclosed spaces in Northern Ireland.
This rule was already in place for users of public transport.
As schools prepare to reopen, Belfast Royal Academy (BRA) has announced plans to make face masks mandatory for students and staff.
Education Minister Peter Weir said the executive was not recommending masks for students.
However, Northern Ireland’s chief science adviser Professor Ian Young later said he believed it would be beneficial for older children.
In the Republic of Ireland, authorities reported one new death on Tuesday, bringing the total number of deaths linked to Covid-19 to 1,773.
There are also 35 new confirmed cases, of which 24 have been confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case and of which five have been identified as community transmission.
RTÉ reported that a series of economic measures are expected to be announced later this week to help Laois, Offaly and Kildare counties.
They have been under tougher restrictions since last Friday, after a spike in Covid-19 cases in the region.
It is understood that the Irish government must start working on a “medium term plan” to move the country over the next six or nine months of living with the virus.
Weekly tests for Covid-19 will be rolled out to all meat processing plants and direct supply centers across the country.