It cost the Treasury around £ 600,000.
The number of people eating out at the start of the week of August 17 was more than double the number for the same week in 2019.
Dozens of restaurant chains have announced plans to launch their own versions of the program to keep the momentum going, especially those that don’t depend on alcohol sales for profit.
Restaurant chain Itsu reported a 50% increase in transactions without negatively affecting commerce for the remainder of the week, but some pubs and restaurants reported that customers who moved their weekly meal from a weekend to a weekend. weekday buy much less alcohol because they have to work the next day.
Mr. Sunak said: “I want to thank the diners who fell in love with their place again, the managers who spent weeks keeping their restaurants safe and the chefs, waiters and waitresses across the country who worked. tirelessly, sometimes with more customers than they’ve ever had before – all of this helps protect 1.8 million hospitality jobs.
“The program reminded us why we as a nation love to eat out and I urge diners to keep the momentum going to help continue our economic recovery.”
According to a survey by YouGov, half of the people who used the program this month intend to dine at the same amount or more often once it ends.
Meg Ellis, commercial director of Honest Burgers, said there had been an “energy shift” in the food business as a result of the program, which had enabled the company to bring more of its staff back to work and to restore the “vitality” of the restoration.