Bianca Andreescu to defend US Open title, Rafael Nadal out due to pandemic

0
79


Bianca Andreescu, the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam championship in singles, will defend her women’s title at the US Open, but defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal said on Tuesday he would ignore her due to the coronavirus pandemic .Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent Tuesday in Spanish and English.

“The situation is very complicated in the world, the cases of COVID-19 are on the increase, it seems that we still do not have control of it”, wrote Nadal.

Andreescu, 20, is ranked No.6 in the world rankings but has not played since October due to an injury. She beat Serena Williams in the US Open final last September to become the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam singles championship.

Nadal, 34, of Spain said he was not going to take part in the tournament due to start on August 31 in New York “a decision that I never wanted to make”, but added that he “would rather not travel”.

“We know the reduced tennis schedule is barbaric this year after four months of no play; I understand and thank (everyone) for their efforts to achieve this. ”

The decision puts Nadal’s bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles on hold.

Eight of the other 10 top female players, including Williams, 23-time Grand Slam champion, are on the entry list with 2018 champion Naomi Osaka. The Australian Ash Barty, world number 1, had already announced that she would miss the US Open.

Montreal teenager Leylah Fernandez, world number 118, is the only other Canadian on the women’s list.

No less than 13 Grand Slam champions are in the women’s draw, including Romanian Simona Halep, defending Wimbledon champion and winner of the 2018 French Open, and this year’s Australian Open champion. , the American Sofia Kenin.

Organizers said the standings will be announced closer to the start of the tournament, which is slated for August 31.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here