BBC radio DJ to stop using N-word on newscast

0
78


A BBC Radio 1Xtra DJ has resigned following the company’s use of the N word in a report on a racist attack in the UK, according to a BBC report and a post on the DJ’s Instagram.

David Whately, who calls himself Sideman on air, posted on Instagram on Saturday to say he is stepping down from his post at Radio 1Xtra immediately.

“I’m okay with the process, I’m okay with waiting, within reason, for some things to change, but the BBC sanctioning the N word spoken on national TV by a white man is something I can not switch. Whately said in the Instagram post.

In an emailed statement to NBC News, a spokesperson for 1Xtra called Whitely an “incredibly talented DJ.”

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and the stories that matter, delivered on weekday mornings.

“Obviously, we are disappointed that he made this decision. We wish him absolutely good luck for the future. The door is always open for future projects, ”said the spokesperson.

On July 29, the BBC aired a report about a musician and National Health Service employee who was hit by a car and sustained a broken leg, nose and cheekbone, according to the BBC.

Police said the suspects used racial slurs during the attack, and that it was being treated as “racially aggravated”, according to the BBC. The segment correspondent, who is white, used full racial insult to account for the attack.

“It’s an error in judgment where I can’t just smile with you all the way through and act like everything is fine. I’m happy to work with organizations until we’re all right, but it’s more than being wrong ”. Tell me. “Taking action and advocating for action feels like a slap in the face of our community. “

The BBC initially defended the use of the N word to report the story, saying the victim’s family wanted the full extent of the attack to be heard by the public, but has since admitted to making a mistake.

As of August 6, approximately 18,600 complaints had been filed about the show.

In an email sent to BBC staff by its managing director Tony Hall, which was forwarded to NBC News, Hall admitted that the BBC should have “taken a different approach”.

“This is important journalism that the BBC should report on and we will continue to do so. Yet despite these good intentions, I recognize that we ended up creating distress among many people. The BBC now admits that we should have taken another approach at the time of the broadcast and we are very sorry for that, ”the email said.

Hall added that the company “will strengthen our advice on offensive language throughout our production.”

“Every organization should be able to recognize that it made a mistake. We made one here. It is important for us to listen – and also to learn. And that is what we will continue to do, ”he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here