Two participants and two other “people supporting the event” tested positive for COVID-19 and were immediately isolated, according to an official statement from Mecklenburg County in North Carolina released Friday.
A Republican spokesperson told ABC News that a number of safety precautions have been put in place, including testing all attendees before traveling to Charlotte and, upon arrival, protocols for finding the contacts were being followed. Although the wearing of masks and social distancing are encouraged, they are not enforced.
“Out of approximately 1,000 tests administered, two RNC participants, despite testing negative before travel, and two Charlotte residents who planned to serve as support staff at the event tested positive upon arrival. All have been sent home, ”Michael Ahrens, RNC’s communications director, told ABC. News.
According to the country’s statement, “approximately 792 COVID-19 tests were performed among people attending or providing support at the Republican National Convention (RNC) meeting in the city of Charlotte.”
But on the ground in Charlotte, where more than 300 delegates from across the country visited the city, most of the attendees crammed inside the Charlotte Convention Center were not wearing masks, going against the mandate of COVID-19 mask from North Carolina.
The Charlotte convention, which was separate from the rest of the week’s convention events in Washington DC, is not the only Trump event that has been linked to attendees testing positive for the coronavirus.
Earlier this summer, Trump held a rally in Tulsa which state public health experts say contributed to an increase in cases in the city.
There were at least eight Trump campaign forward staff in Tulsa, two of whom attended the rally, who tested positive for the virus.
The White House pushed back the idea that the rally in Tulsa contributed to the cases, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said she had “no data to indicate” that this was the case .
Thursday evening at the White House, more than 1,500 people were present for the acceptance speech of the president on the south lawn.
The Trump campaign issued a statement ahead of the event that said “Strict protocols fully comply with the multiple guidelines set forth by the United States Centers for Disease Control, District of Columbia Department of Public Health and others. leading health security authorities. . However, very few masks were worn and social distancing was not observed.
Former Vice President Joe Biden, along with several of his employees, said Trump hosted a coronavirus “super spreader” event on the South Lawn.
“Mr. President, Americans are canceling weddings and having funerals without families. They are sacrificing themselves so that more Americans do not have to die. But instead of leading by example, you hosted a super spreader event on the South Lawn. When are you going to take the presidency seriously? Biden tweeted Thursday night.
Trump will host a campaign event in New Hampshire on Friday. It comes weeks after the president canceled the previously scheduled event in the state due to inclement weather forecasts.
The event will be the first in which the Trump campaign will impose a mask warrant on all participants in order to comply with New Hampshire state rules.