3 of 4 new cases of COVID-19 in Waterloo region attributed to travel – Kitchener

0
85


There were four new positive tests for the novel coronavirus in Waterloo region, bringing the total number of cases to 1,398, according to Waterloo Public Health.Three of those four cases were attributed to travel, according to the agency, although it is not known where these people went.

Read more:

Waterloo Region health official ‘disappointed’ with planned anti-masking event in Kitchener

Waterloo Public Health told Global News 18% of cases in the region last month were due to travel.

“The most frequented country was the United States (seven cases), five of them from India and one each from the United Kingdom, Nicaragua and Pakistan,” the agency said.

Public Health is warning people that traveling outside of Canada continues to pose a risk of exposure to the coronavirus and advises residents to avoid non-essential travel.

The story continues under the ad

Three other people were also cleared of the virus, bringing the total number of resolved cases to 1,258.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
That means the number of active cases in the region has increased from one to 21, including one person who remains in hospital due to COVID-19.










Coronavirus: Tam emphasizes importance for schools to put in place several health measures to reduce spread


Coronavirus: Tam emphasizes importance for schools to put in place several health measures to reduce spread

The outbreak in Columbia Forest has been declared over. It was first reported on July 23 after a staff member tested positive.

There remains an active epidemic at AR Goudie in Kitchener. It was said on Monday after a resident of the house tested positive for coronavirus.

Read more:

Ontarian detained by ICE dies after contracting coronavirus

Waterloo Public Health says 55,994 tests have now been completed in the region, 2,680 more since the totals were updated on Tuesday.

The story continues under the ad

For the fifth day in a row, the province announced less than 100 new positive tests for the coronavirus.

Ontario has reported 88 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the provincial total to 39,897.

The death toll in the province remains at 2,783 as no new deaths have been reported.

Show link »


© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here