Greater Manchester Police said on Sunday he had been charged with one count of murder.
The boy is due to appear before magistrates in Manchester on Monday August 3.
He is still in detention, police said.
Police were called to Henbury Street, Moss Side, around 7.15pm last Sunday – July 26 – after reporting a disturbance.
Get the latest updates from all over Greater Manchester straight to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter
You can register very simply by following the instructions here
The force said Mohamoud, from Moss Side, was pronounced dead at the scene.
GMP said he suffered stab wounds in what the force described as an altercation.
Four other teenagers were also injured.
The boy accused of murder is due to appear in Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court.
In a statement released on Sunday, Greater Manchester Police said: ‘Detectives investigating the murder of a 17-year-old boy in south Manchester have charged a teenager.
“A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with murder.
“He has been remanded into custody and will appear before Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court on Monday 3 August.
“At approximately 7.15pm on Sunday July 26, 2020, police were called to report a disturbance on Henbury Street, Manchester.
“Emergency services came and a 17-year-old boy was unfortunately pronounced dead at the scene.
“Since then, he has been officially identified as Mohamoud Mohamed”.
No further details have been released.