Wigan Athletic 8-0 Hull City: Wigan scores seven goals in the first half


Hull City boss Grant McCann stunned by team surrender in first half

Wigan Athletic scored seven goals in the first half to knock out relegated Hull City before tying the biggest win in Championship history.

The result tied Bournemouth’s 8-0 loss to Birmingham City in 2014 and set another record league victory for the Latics.

In the first 45 extraordinary minutes at DW Stadium, Kal Naismith, Jamal Lowe and Joe Williams were all entered on the hosts’ scores, while Kieffer Moore and Kieran Dowell scored twice.

Dowell finished his hat trick after the break, but that was where the score ended.

While the final score was staggering, the result was crucial for both parties.

The Latics, who have a 12 point deduction to enter the impending administration, are now 12 points above the relegation zone with two games left.

Hull’s dismal shape in 2020 continues, however, this low point leaving them in the bottom three of a point. Grant McCann’s team have won only once in their last 18 games, losing 14 of them.

The Tigers will face wrestling opponents Luton and the playoffs in pursuit of Cardiff in their last two games, but there was not much that performance could do to inspire confidence in their survival.

The milestones of the match

  • Wigan’s biggest league win – surpassing his 7-0 win against Oxford United in 2017
  • Hull conceded eight goals in a league game for the first time since November 1911 (0-8 against the Wolves)
  • Wigan was the first team to score eight home goals in the second tier since Manchester City defeated Huddersfield 10-1 in 1987.
  • Equal to greatest victory at second level since renamed Championship in 2004 (Birmingham 0-8 Bournemouth in 2014)

An incredible 45 minutes

Paul Cook’s Wigan was the league’s second-highest goal scorer before Tuesday’s game, but the huge win turned their goal difference into positive territory, which could be a key factor in their quest for survival.

Kal Naismith scored the first of seven goals in the first half in the first minute

Naismith opened the scoring for the Latics in the first minute after nodding in Dowell’s short corner, while Moore finished well in the area after a good job from Lowe to offer him the ball.

Lowe scored another assist for Dowell to score Wigan’s third goal before stepping on the game sheet himself shortly after with a cool finish.

Moore went home after a cross from Nathan Byrne to pocket Hull’s misery while Dowell added a second moment before Williams scored the seventh of Wigan just before the half-time whistle.

What does this victory mean for Wigan?

Despite their good form on both sides of the suspension of football in the middle of the coronavirus crisis, Wigan’s hopes for survival are due to their continuation of their impressive race after taking office.

If they finish outside the last three this season, their 12 point deduction will be applied immediately, which means they must stay at least 12 points outside the relegation zone.

The Latics started the game with a better goal difference of 11 compared to Hull, which was already a slight advantage if their deduction came into play this season, but their seven-goal streak in the first half extended it to 25 goals.

With the shadow of layoffs, lower wages and funding for supporters to transport players, this remarkable victory could be the tonic the club needs to maintain its champion status.

Hull condemned?

It was a performance to forget for Hull and their dismal shape this year means that their chances of survival seem even slimmer following their 23rd campaign defeat.

Hull has not played in the third tier of English football since 2005, receiving promotions in the Premier League in the years that followed.

Those days of glory look like a distant memory as they slipped into their biggest loss since an Wolves 8-0 defeat in 1911.

There had been some consolation in Hull’s fortune as the match drew to a close after Keane Lewis-Potter appeared to have been overthrown by Nathan Byrne.

However, referee Tony Harrington changed his mind after initially indicating the location, in a moment that was symbolic of a nightmare night for Hull.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here