The Washington Post has settled a defamation lawsuit brought by the parents of a Kentucky teenager over the newspaper’s coverage of his meeting with a Native American protester in Washington last year, an event that sparked a nationwide debate.
The newspaper said on Friday it had reached the settlement, but did not disclose the terms. “We are pleased that we were able to reach a mutually acceptable resolution of the remaining claims in this lawsuit,” said Kristine Coratti Kelly, spokesperson for the Post.
Parents of Nicholas Sandmann, a student at Covington Catholic High School in Covington, Ky., Sued the newspaper for $ 250 million, saying The Post “targeted and intimidated” him in its coverage of the incident. The amount reflected how much Amazon founder Jeff Bezos paid to buy The Post in 2013.
Lawyers for the Sandmann family did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The meeting between Mr. Sandmann, 16 at the time, and a Native American elder, Nathan Phillips, was captured on widely shared video. It showed the student among his mostly white classmates, many of whom wore “Make America Great Again” hats, at the Lincoln Memorial.