Today’s coronavirus news: virus cases in India exceed 600,000, the curve is increasing; New Zealand Minister of Health Resigns after Criticizing Coronavirus

0
39


The last coronavirus news from Canada and around the world on Thursday. This file will be updated throughout the day. Web links to longer stories if available.

5:21 a.m .: The New Zealand Minister of Health has resigned following a series of personal faults during the coronavirus pandemic.

David Clark described himself earlier as an “idiot” for violating the nation’s foreclosure measures, then last week he appeared to be blaming a beloved health official for border breaches, provoking a reaction from public anger. Clark said he was becoming a distraction from the country’s viral response.

5:13 a.m .: China has reported three new cases of coronavirus, including only one case of local transmission in the capital Beijing, which seems to put the country where the virus was first detected late last year on track to eradicate it nationally, at least temporarily.

5:10 a.m .: South Korea has reported 54 new cases as the virus continues to spread beyond the capital and reaching cities like Gwangju, which has closed schools and tightened social restrictions after dozens of people have been killed. found infected this week.

Health Minster Park Neung-hoo at a meeting on the virus expressed concern over the rise in infections in Gwangju, which had one of the smallest workloads among major South Korean cities before this week. Park urged city residents to refrain from unnecessary gatherings, to keep distance from others and to wear masks.

5:04 a.m .: The Philippine government is shifting defense spending and suspending military modernization projects to help finance the response to COVID-19. Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana told a press forum that $ 260 million from his department’s budget had been allocated to the campaign against the pandemic.

Defense spokesman Arsenio Andolong told the Associated Press that the country’s military modernization program could be delayed up to three years after its annual allocation was also cut by $ 348 million, which will be used to fight the virus.

5 a.m .: The number of coronavirus cases in India exceeded 600,000 on Thursday, the country’s infection curve increasing and its testing capacity increased.

The 19,148 new cases reported in the past 24 hours brought the national total to 604,641, including nearly 100,000 in the past four days.

A total of 17,834 people have died to date due to the virus, according to the Indian Ministry of Health.

More than 60% of the cases are in the most affected state of Maharashtra, the state of Tamil Nadu and the capital city of New Delhi.

However, Goa’s western beach, a popular destination for hikers, opened for tourism on Thursday, with the state government allowing 250 hotels to reopen after more than three months. Tourists will either have to carry negative COVID-19 certificates or be tested on arrival.

4 h: A new mobile app to help track contacts of COVID-19 cases will not be rolled out across Ontario today as planned.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Health said the province is still working with the federal government and that the app is expected to launch soon.

Get the latest news in your inbox

Never miss the latest Star news, including up-to-date coronavirus coverage, with our email newsletters

Register now

The province will be the first to use the COVID Alert app, but Premier Justin Trudeau has said it should be ready for download in the rest of the country later this summer.

Premier Doug Ford says the app aims to improve the province’s contact tracing strategy.

He previously said this could play a key role in helping to contain the spread of COVID-19 as more businesses reopen.

12:05 p.m .: On Wednesday, California closed bars, theaters and indoor restaurants in most of the state, and the Arizona epidemic became more serious by almost all measures as the growing crisis coronavirus in the South and West made the country shiver.

The rise in confirmed cases has been attributed in part to what the Americans have called “punching behavior,” not wearing masks or obeying rules of social distancing as economies reopened. coast to coast in the past two months.

“Ultimately, the spread of this virus continues at a particularly alarming rate,” said California Governor Gavin Newsom, significantly expanding the series of closings he announced this weekend.

The closure announcement, which came just before what should be a busy July 4 weekend that could fuel the spread of the virus, applies to 19 counties encompassing nearly three-quarters of the 40 million residents of California, including Los Angeles County.

Confirmed cases in California have increased by almost 50% in the past two weeks, and hospitalizations for COVID-19 have increased by 43%. Newsom has reported nearly 5,900 new cases and 110 additional deaths in 24 hours.

Thursday 7:33 p.m .: On Wednesday, the Cuban government opened the north and south cays of the island to tourism as part of strong measures to contain the coronavirus pandemic, which forced the country to suspend travel in late March.

Cuba, which, according to official figures, has recorded 2,348 cases of COVID-19 and has left 86 dead, is seeking to attract international tourists to the island’s many cays.

Tourists will undergo a rapid PCR test upon arrival to identify possible infections and will not be able to visit the Big Island itself. Cuban nationals are prohibited from having contact with foreigners and staying in hotels equipped for international tourism, the official press reported.

Cuban Americans will not be able to travel to visit loved ones until the island is fully open to tourism. The government has not announced dates for a full opening.

Learn more about Thursday’s coverage here.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here