The Chainsmokers are fucked up on their Hamptons-filled gig

0
154


TThe Chainsmokers drive-in concert at Tony Southampton, New York, an allegedly remote charity festival held on Saturday night, violated the terms of their license and will likely face citations and fines from several city departments , according to Jay Schneiderman, supervisor of Southampton Town.Over 3,000 residents paid up to $ 25,000 to listen to the EDM duo, featuring the subprime sounds of Goldman Sachs alter ego DJ David Solomon, DJ D-Sol. The event, which had a permit from the city of Southampton, boasted of a long list of precautionary measures: entry temperature checks, bathroom cleanings every 10 minutes, mandatory masks, large stations designated disinfection and rest areas spaced 20 feet apart.

“People signed COVID waivers promising they hadn’t had [flu-like symptoms] for two weeks and they had not dated anyone with COVID for two weeks, ”said a representative from In The Know Experiences and Invisible Noise, which hosted the event.

“It was a charity event. It went through a clearance process for a drive-in event like a movie or a concert, ”Schneiderman said. “The permit went through the police department and the city clerk. It was approved. They reviewed it according to the code to make sure it met all the requirements. “

But an Instagram post shared by the manager of the Chainsmokers, a group whose breakout song was called “#Selfie,” told another story. In the video, widely shared on Monday morning, a crowd had formed near the stage, as unmasked participants danced to frat-pop in hordes, spitting droplets with apparent abandon.A source who worked with the organizers, but spoke in the background, claimed the video was misleading. “The first section everyone is talking about – that was the friends and family section, if you will,” the source said. “There are rope extensions and steel barricades separating each section for groups of 10 people.”

But Schneiderman said the permit had not allowed any sections before, family or otherwise. “Unfortunately, the organizer did not strictly respect the permit,” he said. “Somewhere during the evening, they opened a VIP area near the stage. It wasn’t in the license. The permit was for cars on a very large lot. I am as upset as anyone that this has happened. They will likely be cited for this violation. ”

Shortly after the video was released on social media, the New York State Department of Health sent Schneiderman a letter, first reported by Syracuse.com, warning him of an investigation on the concert. “I am deeply disturbed by the information regarding the drive-in concert that was held in your town last weekend, which apparently involved thousands of people nearby, out of their vehicles, a VIP area where it there was no claim to a vehicle, and generally did not adhere to social distancing guidelines, ”wrote Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker. “I don’t know how the City of Southampton could have issued a permit for such an event, how they thought it was legal and not an obvious threat to public health.”

The letter gave the supervisor 24 hours to respond. He said several city departments were investigating what to do next – the unauthorized section, the breach of state-mandated social distancing and the size of the crowd, which had been projected in the permit for cap at 2,000 people. Organizers can also be fined for police overtime, as the department doubled down on its presence halfway through the night, once people began to gather in close groups. “There could be more than one quote,” he says. “The police are examining everything. The same goes for the municipal public security office.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here