Swansea City 2-1 Sheffield mercredi


Andre Ayew celebrates Swansea’s second goal from the penalty spot

Swansea City recovered from a slow start to beat Sheffield on Wednesday and maintain its challenge for a championship game.

It could have been another story if Wednesday had capitalized on their domination in the first half, exposing the new defense of three players of the hosts, but losing several chances.

Swansea then converted his first opportunity, the clairvoyant of Liverpool, Rhian Brewster, who struck close to score a goal for which the expression “against the course of the game” could have been invented.

Andre Ayew hit the Swans’ second goal with a penalty after Connor Roberts was knocked down by Adam Reach, before Adtdhe Nuhiu made his way to a comfort goal in injury time for Wednesday.

Steve Cooper’s team is now eighth in the championship and is less than four points from the playoffs with five games left this season. The Owls remain 14th.

Follow BBC Sport’s live text coverage from 11:45 BST Sunday

It was a timely victory for Swansea, who had resumed his season with an excellent 3-0 victory at Middlesbrough, but who then lost at home to Luton and tied at Millwall, leaving them seven points behind the first six after Cardiff City’s victory in Bristol City on Saturday.

And although they were largely upgraded on Wednesday in the first half here, the Swans have recovered to keep their hopes of somewhat fragile playoffs intact.

After going into formation 3-4-2-1, the narrow defense of three men from Swansea was first severely stretched on Wednesday, including right winger Jacob Murphy had far too much space.

He found himself unmarked in the penalty area for his first chance, which he half-flew over the bar, and a few minutes later his low shot was saved by Freddie Woodman.

Cooper’s tactical change was playing out on Wednesday, ironic as it seemed to be an attempt to neutralize the three-way system behind the visitors.

The initial scheme would have been particularly pleasant for Wednesday’s boss Garry Monk, who had returned to the club where he spent 11 years as a player and coach and would have been encouraged to see his former teammate Wayne Routledge wrestle in his unusual role left rear wing.

The three defensemen playing behind the 35-year-old playmaker, Jake Bidwell, Marc Guehi and Kyle Naughton, also looked uncomfortable in the new lineup.

But Chelsea Loanee Guehi, making only his sixth career start, was perhaps the only true positive in the first half for the local team, which constituted a crucial block to deny Alessio Da Cruz what seemed to be a certain point blank target.

Da Cruz missed another good chance moments before the break as he headed towards him, and it was no surprise that the first half ended goalless.

Cooper made no changes at the break and, against all evidence from the first 45 minutes, his patience paid off.

Jay Fulton crossed Roberts’ hooked center on Brewster in the box, and the England youth international has shot the roof for his seventh goal in 15 appearances since joining the Swans on loan.

Improbable Swans gagne

Remarkably, it got even better for the hosts when they received a penalty after Reach knocked down Roberts as the Welsh international from Swansea tried to hit a center.

Ayew took the kick, hesitated and sent Joe Wildsmith the wrong way to give Swansea a barely credible 2-0 lead.

Brewster had the opportunity to extend that advantage when a superb pass from Naughton hit him, but his shot hit the side net.

Substitute Nuhiu came in on Wednesday with about three of the remaining seven minutes remaining.

A series of set pieces for the Owls followed, but they were unable to snatch a late winner as they had to give up their useless first half while Swansea held on for an unlikely victory.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here