Prime Minister Boris Johnson now has “good technical reasons” to start phasing out Huawei technology from UK 5G networks on the basis of a security reassessment, a former IM6 chief said on Sunday. a Financial Times report.
According to The telegraphBritish officials are currently working on proposals to halt installations of new Huawei equipment in as little as six months and to step up efforts to remove existing equipment already in place. It would be a considerably accelerated calendar compared to that of public servants fitted out in may, which gave the Chinese company until 2023 to reduce its involvement in British 5G networks to zero.
It would also mark an even more definite flip-flop of the compromise reached by officials in January, in which Johnson appeared to give Huawei the benefit of the doubt despite warnings from U.S. intelligence agencies about the potential risks to national security. As part of this initial decision, Huawei was allowed to play a limited role in the UK 5G infrastructure, capable of participating in no more than 35% of the deployment and only with the approval of the country’s intelligence agencies.
Now it seems that Britain wants to make a clean break. Etc.
“There are now strong technical reasons for the UK to change the January decision,” said Sir John Sawers, a former British intelligence chief. le Financial Times. “The security assessment is now different because the facts have changed.”
Due to new US sanctions imposed on Huawei, “reliable non-Chinese suppliers … can no longer work with the company” and “British intelligence services can no longer provide the necessary assurances that equipment made in China is still safe to use. in the UK telecommunications network, “said Sawers.
According to a report from the British government’s communications headquarters, officials no longer believe that the security risks posed by a partnership with Huawei can be safely managed, The telegraph reported. These sanctions have had a “severe” impact on Huawei’s ability to safely deploy 5G networks, as the company can no longer use technology that relies on American intellectual property and could therefore be forced to adopt less secure substitutions.
The National Security Council of the United Kingdom is expected to confirm its decision in the next two weeks.
In a statement to the Guardian Huawei said on Sunday that the US sanctions were not about “security but market position” and that it was trying to manage the fallout from the decision “so that the UK can maintain its current 5G lead “
“All of our world-class products and solutions use technologies and components over which the UK government has strict surveillance,” the statement said.
The Chinese company has not been allowed to buy technologies made by American companies since the Trump administration blacklisted it last year. U.S. intelligence officials have long argued that Huawei’s close ties to the Chinese Communist Party and the Chinese military make it a risk to the national security of U.S. networks. Huawei and ZTE, another Chinese telecommunications company, were officially named last week a threat to national security par la Federal Communications Commission.