Danielle Dawn Cote, 27, died on Wednesday of being shot dead while walking in block 400 of Flora Avenue. Côté was walking with an 18-year-old man when the shooting took place. The man remains in hospital in a stable condition.
Cote’s death is Winnipeg’s 20th homicide this year.
Police say boys, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, are also facing charges related to three other shootings that occurred between July 1 and July 2, including one that had not been previously reported.
When the 14-year-old suspect was arrested in North Kildonan on Thursday, police said they had recovered a firearm which they claimed had been used in all of the shootings.
THE OTHER SHOTS
Police said a 44-year-old man was shot and injured by a vehicle in the Balmoral Street neighborhood near Cumberland Avenue on Wednesday. The man remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition.
Officers also responded to a shootout near Forks on July 2, in which two men were attacked with weapons. One man was found shot and wounded, the other was stabbed. The man who was shot remains in hospital in stable condition.
The stab wounds are the subject of a separate investigation.
A fourth shooting, which had not been previously reported and occurred between the two incidents on Wednesday, is also under investigation. The shooting took place in block 100 of Isabel Street between 2:30 and 3:15 a.m.
Investigators identified the victim as a 17-year-old woman. Police said she was shot and injured.
The police believe that all the incidents are random and the victims did not know the shooters.
In addition to the charge of first degree murder, the youth was also charged with attempted murder with a firearm, attempted murder, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of assault with a weapon and three counts of unloading a firearm with the intent and possession of a firearm contrary to a prohibition order.
The 15-year-old was arrested on July 3 in a house in the Dufferin district. He is charged with first degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, aggravated assault, intentionally discharging a firearm and two counts of breach of a release order.
None of the charges against any of the youths have been proven in court.
Police believe the two suspects were present together for each shooting, with the exception of one that occurred in block 100 on Isabel Street. The 14-year-old was charged in this incident.
At a press conference on Saturday, police said there were no other suspects.
The charges have not been proven in court.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the Winnipeg police at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477.
-With files from Charles Lefebvre of CTV