Sask. adds 8 new COVID-19 cases; 12 people in hospital

0
64


REGINA – Saskatchewan reported eight new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the provincial total to 970. In a statement, the province said there were two new cases in the far north, two in the central region, one in the Saskatoon region and three in the south.

There are currently 142 active cases. Eleven other people have recovered from the virus for a total of 813.

Twelve people are currently hospitalized. Nine are hospitalized, including seven in Saskatoon, one in the south and one in the north. Three other people are in intensive care; two in Saskatoon and one in the south.

Regionally, 342 cases are in the far north, 212 in the Saskatoon region, 124 in the north, 123 in the south, 87 in the Regina region and 82 in the central region.

There are no new cases in the Regina area, although the region has seven active cases

Premier Scott Moe said the recent increase in cases is a reminder that COVID-19 is contagious.

He said it might be tempting to relax security practices, but urged people to stay safe.

“The virus does not dissipate in the summer and does not respond to the change of seasons,” he said. “He responds to a change in behavior.”

Dr Saqib Shahab, the province’s chief medical officer of health, said Saskatchewan is likely to experience new clusters of outbreaks over time.

“I think this is the new normal for us,” he said, urging people to take safety measures, like physical distancing, hand washing, limiting contact with people outside the hospital. family cohorts and wearing a mask in cases where distancing is not possible.

There were 333 cases in the 20 to 39 age group, 304 in the 40 to 59 age group, 168 in the 60 to 79 age group and 32 in the age 80 and over; while 133 other cases involve people 19 years of age or younger.

Women represent 51% of cases, while men represent the remaining 49%.

There have been 15 deaths in total linked to COVID-19.

Shahab said the province would request more detailed information on vital statistics.

He said this information will help officials determine whether they have missed any deaths from COVID-19. He said he did not expect a large number of additional deaths, adding that it will help the province keep up.

THE RISK OF CONTINUOUS TRANSMISSION

The province says the risk of transmitting the virus continues following a warning received last week.

“Since mid-June, there has been an increase in cases in southwest and west-central Saskatchewan, both in the settlements and in the community at large,” the province said in a statement. Press. “A public health investigation is underway to determine the chains of transmission and identify contacts. Although most of the recent new cases have occurred in southwestern and midwestern Saskatchewan, the risk of COVID-19 transmission continues to exist in all parts of the province.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here