Portland protester suffers horrific injury, US Marshal investigation finds: mayor


The US Marshals Service is investigating after a protester was seriously injured this weekend during a protest outside the Portland federal courthouse, said the mayor of the city.

Democrat Ted Wheeler announced on Twitter on Sunday that he had met with US attorney Bill Williams and learned that the agency “would conduct a thorough investigation”. He said the incident “should not have happened.

July 2: Federal Protection Service officers can be seen, top right, holding up their shields and guarding the door to the Hatfield federal courthouse after the glass door broke. (District of Oregon US Attorney’s Office via AP)

Oregon Public Broadcasting reported that the protester, Donavan LaBella, was struck in the head by what his friends described as impact ammunition. Oregonlive reported that he had suffered skull fractures and needed surgery.

A graphic video of the aftermath of the incident was released online, showing a young man who was bleeding from his mouth and nose, according to reports. The 26-year-old mother told OPB that her son had not had surgery and had responded to the doctors.

“He underwent facial reconstruction surgery,” she said. “They’re just looking at him right now. ”

The US Marshals Service did not immediately respond to an email from Fox News asking for comments.

The intense protests in the city – which have become violent – have been going on for more than a month and a half and city officials seem to tire of the unrest and security concerns.

“Portland continues to be used as a gathering place for violence night after night,” Wheeler tweeted. “This is causing unprecedented damage to our communities, our livelihoods and the Portlandians continue to fear for their safety. My main concern is this: the continuation of the violence will lead to new injuries and even deaths. ”

Williams said in a statement earlier this week that members and officers of the US Marshals Service of the Federal Protective Service, the Homeland Security Investigations and the US Customs and Border Protection were all responsible for protecting the courthouse.


Protesters began targeting federal facilities in Portland on May 28, and the local US Immigration and Customs Enforcement office “was targeted by a Molotov cocktail,” reported the Associated Press.

The Associated Press contributed to this report


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here