North Korea says there is no plan for talks with the United States, Bolton hints at “October surprise” News

0
93


North Korea has reiterated that it has no immediate plans to resume nuclear negotiations with the United States, unless Washington rejects what it describes as “hostile” policies towards Pyongyang.

North Korea’s first deputy foreign minister Choe Son Hui’s statement on Saturday came after US President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser John Bolton told reporters Thursday that Trump could ask for another summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as an “October surprise”. before the US presidential election.

“Is it possible to dialogue or to have relations with the United States which persist in the hostile policy towards the DPRK in disregard of the agreements already concluded at the last summit? Choe said, referring to North Korea by its official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

“We do not feel any need to meet face to face with the United States, because they do not consider the dialogue between the DPRK and the United States as a simple tool to deal with its political crisis,” he said. she declared.

Kim and Trump have met three times since the start of their high-stakes nuclear diplomacy in 2018, but negotiations have failed since their second summit in February of last year in Vietnam.

At the summit, the United States rejected North Korean requests for significant sanctions relief in exchange for a partial surrender of its nuclear capacity.

Kim entered in 2020 by declaring to reinforce his nuclear deterrence in the face of American sanctions and pressures “of the gangster type”.

Choe’s statement followed a series of similar statements from the north that she would no longer give Trump high-level meetings that he could boast about for his foreign policy accomplishments unless it got something substantial in return.

“Strategic calendar”

Choe said that North Korea has already established a “detailed strategic schedule” to manage what it has described as American threats.

“The United States is wrong if it thinks things like the negotiations would still work for us,” she said.

In recent months, the North has also intensified pressure against South Korea, detonating an inter-Korean liaison office on its territory and threatening to abandon a bilateral military agreement aimed at reducing tensions.

It follows months of frustration over Seoul’s reluctance to defy U.S.-led sanctions and restart joint economic projects that would bring the shattered northern economy to life.

Official media in North Korea said on Friday that Kim, when overseeing a meeting of the ruling Workers’ Party political bureau on Thursday, had discussed “important foreign affairs issues” but had not clarified what it was.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who had lobbied hard to help set up the now stalled talks between Washington and Pyongyang, also voiced Tuesday in a videoconference with European leaders. hope that Trump and Kim will meet again before the US election. .

US Vice Secretary of State Stephen Biegun is scheduled to travel to South Korea next week to discuss the stalled talks with North Korea.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here