The offer, led by financier Amanda Staveley and also involving brothers Reuben, Simon and David, is backed by the mega-rich Saudi Public Investment Fund and is awaiting the green light from the leaders of the Premier League.
Nevertheless, the Magpies have been associated with movements for a crowd of players in recent weeks and a quartet of Premier League stars have been linked.
There’s also a link to a Marseille defender, a ridiculous rumor from Cristiano Ronaldo, as well as an update on the long-term future of United lender Valentino Lazaro.
Here’s a summary of the gossip from the Sunday transfer.
Crystal Palace defender identified as alternative to Danny Rose
Newcastle have been linked with a summer move from Crystal Palace left-back Patrick van Aanholt.
The 29-year-old spent a short loan period with the Magpies in 2010 and also played for their big rivals, Sunderland.
The Netherlands international has impressed the Eagles in recent seasons and the Sun report Newcastle see him as an alternate option if they fail to secure a permanent deal for Tottenham left-back Danny Rose.
The England international has admitted he wants to turn his loan to Newcastle into a permanent deal earlier this month.
Jetro Willems has also impressed Newcastle left-back this season, but his loan deal with Eintracht Frankfurt was cut short early with a serious knee injury.
Steve Bruce is preparing a summer coup for the man he has already signed
The Newcastle boss is looking forward to reuniting with Aston Villa midfielder John McGinn this summer.
That’s according to the Daily Star, which claims Bruce is aiming for a summer kick-off for the Scotland international if Aston Villa is relegated from the Premier League.
Bruce signed McGinn from Hibernian while managing Villa in 2018 and he was instrumental in their promotion to the Premier League last season.
He’s also impressed in the top flight this quarter, and Villa’s poor form has coincided with McGinn’s injury absence.
Manchester United have also been said to be enthusiastic, but with Paul Pogba set to commit his future to the Red Devils, their interest in McGinn has since cooled.
Newcastle want to sign Norwich City star
The Magpies are also said to be keen on a summer transfer for Norwich City midfielder Todd Cantwell.
The England Under-21 international has impressed in the top flight this season despite relegation from the Canaries and is expected to be a man in demand this summer.
Mail Online reports Newcastle, along with Leicester, have joined the race for the 22-year-old who has also been watched by Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Bayern Munich this quarter.
Cantwell has scored seven goals and recorded two assists for Daniel Farke’s side this season.
Magpies, one of the many clubs interested in Marseille right-back
According to L’Equipe, Newcastle is one of the three English clubs to request the availability of Marseille right-back Bouna Sarr.
The 28-year-old was a mainstay of OM’s defense in the last term and Newcastle, Arsenal and Southampton have reportedly inquired about his availability.
There is also a lot of interest in Spain’s Sarr, with Atletico Madrid, Real Betis and Sevilla all saying they are excited.
Borussia Mönchengladbach have also reportedly scrutinized Sarr and an offer of € 15million may be enough to secure his signing.
Newcastle are well stocked in the right-back department with Javi Manquillo, DeAndre Yedlin and Emil Krafth.
While Manquillo has impressed this season and been rewarded with a new four-year contract, there is talk of Yedlin leaving the club at the end of the season as Krafth has been unconvincing in his first England campaign.
Sheffield United star linked to Newcastle return
Mail Online reports that Newcastle are keen on Sheffield United defender Chris Basham.
Basham was released by the Magpies as a teenager, but has since continued to establish in the Premier League.
With Fabian Schar’s future uncertain, Bruce could look for additional cover in midfield and Basham, who has impressed for the Blades this tenure, would do the trick.
Burnley would also be keen to sign the 32-year-old player this summer.
Get the latest Newcastle United news and the latest buyout stories straight to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter.
Simply click on this link to our newsletter signup form and select NUFC.
The wild rumor of Spain Cristiano Ronaldo
Feel like laughing? Don Balon in Spain – who reported yesterday that potential new NUFC owners want to sign Karim Benzema – came out with this beauty.
They claim that “Cristiano Ronaldo would be the first purchase for the new Saudi project in Newcastle”.
Valentino Lazaro agent rejects Trabzonspor link
Valentino Lazaro’s agent has dismissed talks of a permanent move to Trabzonspor after his loan at Newcastle United ended.
Max Hagmayr told Inter Dipenza: “Trabzonspor is not in our plans. After the coronavirus for Valentino the situation in Newcastle has changed, even for us it’s hard to understand.
“New owners are coming. As for Valentino’s future, it’s too early to talk about it now. ”
Lazaro’s long-term future remains uncertain, but Sky Italia announced Friday that it is possible that Lazaro will join the Magpies on loan from Inter Milan next season.