Mireille Knoll: Men suspected of the murder of a Holocaust survivor will be tried in Paris

0
38


Mireille Knoll was found dead in her Parisian apartment in 2018. In an attack that scandalized the country, the 85-year-old woman was stabbed 11 times and her house was burned down.

The indictments on three counts were confirmed on July 10 by the examining magistrates, said the prosecution.

Men charged with “murder of a vulnerable person committed because of the victim’s actual or perceived religion”, as well as “aggravated theft” and “degrading by means dangerous to individuals,” the office said. .

One of the suspects was Knoll’s neighbor, who was 27 years old at the time of the stabbing. He had previously been imprisoned for sexually assaulting Knoll’s homemaker daughter, a judicial source told CNN in 2018.

The second suspect was a homeless man, who was 21 years old at the time of the murder.The two men say they are innocent, AFP reports.

A third person was also charged in connection with this case, for “destroying a document or object relating to a crime or misdemeanor in order to prevent the truth from being established”. This person is under judicial supervision, said the prosecution.

She escaped a Nazi roundup

“In this case, finally justice. And nothing else, “William Goldnadel, the Knoll family’s lawyer, wrote on Twitter on Monday.

“We were eagerly awaiting such a reaction from the justice system regarding the final indictment,” Alain Knoll, the son of the victim, told CNN branch Monday.

“We are very satisfied with the way things are going, the fact that there will be a judgment, the fact that the double aggravating circumstance of anti-Semitism has been maintained.”

According to lawmaker Meyer Habib, Knoll escaped the Vel ‘d’Hiv rally in 1942, which was ordered by Nazi occupiers and resulted in the mass arrest of 13,000 French Jews.

Those arrested were detained on the Vel ‘d’Hiv bike path in Paris before thousands of people were deported to the Auschwitz concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Poland.

His death in 2018 has been decried by political figures and Jewish organizations across France.

French President Emmanuel Macron called his murder a “horrible crime” on Twitter. In his comments, he also reaffirmed his “absolute determination to fight anti-Semitism”.

Former Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said in January that 687 anti-Semitic incidents had been recorded in 2019 in France compared to 541 in 2018, an increase of 27%.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here