“To strengthen the team, you need money and these are uncertain times,” said the Liverpool boss. “We didn’t invest much in the team last year and that was before COVID. ”
In an age that shouted its demands for the most recent and important transfer transactions, Klopp’s words were of measured and mature variety.
Liverpool will continue to monitor its finances and keep an eye on the market after it was confirmed this week that the transfer window will now be open until October 5.
A 10-week window that begins later this month gives clubs the opportunity to roll and deal, but the Reds are likely to enter in some other moderate fashion.
Given the circumstances over the past few months, coupled with their record Premier League success, it makes sense that there isn’t a huge appetite to break the bank this summer from inside the club.
“We have a great team and as you know, we are investing in a new training ground and I just want to get through this period,” Liverpool president Tom Werner told ECHO last month.
“I am terribly challenged by what is happening with the coronavirus, just like the world. ”
The three-month Premier League break cannot be shameless either. This will have huge ramifications for the maneuverability of each club.
Chelsea and Manchester City may be the exceptions to the rule, but given that these are the two who may have spent more than anyone in the past decade, this would not be a significant development.
Liverpool is Premier League champion
And given Chelsea’s recent transfer ban and City’s desperate need to challenge Liverpool for the next term, a far-reaching summer of the two will be expected.
It is unlikely that there is such luxury in Anfield.
Liverpool took the option of participating in the government’s continued coronavirus program to reimburse around 200 percent of its non-playing staff in early April.
The controversial decision was quickly overturned, but Liverpool CEO Peter Moore did not ignore the fact that the lack of football would hit the club hard.
“In the spirit of transparency, we also need to be clear,” Moore wrote in an open letter apologizing to his supporters. “Despite the fact that we were in good health before this crisis, our income has been stopped and our expenses remain unchanged.
“And as in almost all sectors of society, our present and our future is a source of great uncertainty and concern.
“Like any responsible employer who cares about its employees in the current situation, the club continues to prepare for a series of different scenarios, around the time when football can become operational again as before the pandemic.
Liverpool FC essential news
“These scenarios go from best to worst and everything in between. It is inevitable that many of these scenarios will involve a massive drop in revenue, with unprecedented business losses.
“The fact that these vital financial resources are so deeply affected would obviously affect our ability to function as we have done before. ”
Any hope of spending more than £ 50 million on a single transfer just weeks after such a frank and public descent was far-fetched.
In the absence of income from television or match days between mid-March and June, the bottom line would always be significantly reduced. Even more when you take into account the fact that Liverpool has one of the biggest salary bills in sports at £ 310 million.
This means that the club paid almost £ 78 million in wages between the time there was no football. Since the action was restarted, an additional £ 25 million has been paid. Few tickets, lots of expenses.
On top of that, match day revenues, which currently stand at £ 84 million for the Reds, have been nonexistent since they were eliminated from the Champions League by Atletico Madrid on March 11.
Each game at Anfield played without any of the 54,000 spectators in attendance leaves the Reds short of approximately £ 3 million. This means the club missed £ 12 million at the time of the Premier League season final whistle.
Send congratulations to Jurgen and the team by placing a Premier League trophy on our card
“We don’t know when the supporters will return to the stadium,” Klopp continued on Tuesday. “Anyone who knows, tell me and then we can plan this. This is how the club has been run since before I was here. If we have money, we will spend. ”
If the closed door model continues in 2021, expect clubs to experience significant losses for their year-end accounts.
Liverpool are also among the pelotons that reported a £ 170 million discount to Sky Sports in early June. It was reported at the time that high-flying cubs had been told that they also owed up to £ 330 million to national and international broadcasters, even with the end of the 2019/20 campaign.
Plans for any lucrative pre-season tour have also been put on hold, with the Reds not likely to embark on their travels when their preparations for the next term begin.
As reported by ECHO last week, the club is finalizing its brand new 50 million pound training base in Kirkby, although the 60 million pound proposal to expand Anfield has been pushed back 12 months in because of the lingering uncertainty.
At a time when the Reds have an established team that won the Premier League in record time, it is understandable that the owners of Fenway Sports Group are cautious right now.
Even if the question comes up for Klopp.